Full 12lb Turkey with Texas BBQ rub

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bren H

TVWBB Fan
I am about to brine a full turkey this evening for a trial run for Christmas Dinner. I'm planning on cooking it on the WSM on the bottom grate with the water pan empty, has anybody tryed texas BBQ rub on poultry or would it be recomended?. This is my first time to cook a turkey on the WSM so any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Bren -- I cooked my 14lb turkey on the top rack. I think you will find that it is easier to handle on the top rack. I just brined mine and did not use a rub. Next time I am thinking about putting a little butter and cayenne under the skin.

Vernon, I will try the top rack first and see how it fits, the tempreture on the top rack should be that little bit higher aswell, the only choice in smoke wood I have at the moment is Hickory or Mesquite, which will go better with Turkey or should I use a bit of each.

I did two bone in turkey breasts smoked with apple wood on Thanksgiving. One with olive oil and garlic the other with Texas BBQ #2 Rub. The BBQ rub was the best.

The turkey is now underway and I went with Texas bbq #1 Rub, its now 34F outside and wet so it will also be a good test for my enclosure.I have 335F at the lid and 105F in the breast so hopefully I will get a good result in a couple of hours.

Greg, I went with Hickory and the turkey was done in 2 1/2 hours, turned out very well though and the drippings made a very tasty gravy. I would recommend the texas bbq rub although I felt that it needed to be basted toward the end of the cook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back