Frozen brikset

Having a brisket delivered this Friday that will most likely still be frozen upon arrival. What is suggested for the thawing process if I plan to throw on the smoker late Saturday night? Brisket will be between 11-14 lbs. Thanks in advance.

Richard, I believe the "safest way to thaw, uncooked frozen meat" is in the fridge. Unfortunately I do not believe your 12-14 lb briskey will thaw as fast as you like. There is a formula but I bet 3 days for solid meat such as brisket.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mk evenson:
Richard, I believe the "safest way to thaw, uncooked frozen meat" is in the fridge. Unfortunately I do not believe your 12-14 lb briskey will thaw as fast as you like. There is a formula but I bet 3 days for solid meat such as brisket. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah I don't think the fridge will do the trick by Saturday night. I heard submerging in cool water will work (safely), but always look for the opinion of some of the trusted members of this board.

A 12 lb turkey will defrost under water in about 24 hours.

In the fridge, my bird took 5 days.

Solid block of meat at 12 lb-->do it under water. It will not be ready for Friday.

Change the water every 3-4 hours (it will warm up because of room temps and not stay cold because of the meat and so will not be good for keeping bacteria at bay).

it'll probably be defrosted enough to cook as normal, I've read a lot of posts where butts were thrown on frozen.

Personally, I'd set it on the counter for the first few hours to defrost, counting on the frozen part to keep the rest of it within safe temperatures. Then just stick it in the fridge.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Clint:

Personally, I'd set it on the counter for the first few hours to defrost, counting on the frozen part to keep the rest of it within safe temperatures. Then just stick it in the fridge. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
e Big Thaw — Safe Defrosting Methods — for Consumers
Uh, oh! You're home and forgot to thaw something for dinner. You grab a package of meat or chicken and use hot water to thaw it fast. But is this safe? What if you remembered to take food out of the freezer, but forgot and left the package on the counter all day while you were at work?

Neither of these situations is considered safe, and these methods of thawing may lead to foodborne illness. Raw or cooked meat, poultry or egg products, as any perishable foods, must be kept at a safe temperature during "the big thaw." They are safe indefinitely while frozen. However, as soon as they begin to thaw and become warmer than 40 °F, bacteria that may have been present before freezing can begin to multiply.

Perishable foods should never be thawed on the counter, or in hot water and must not be left at room temperature for more than two hours.

Even though the center of the package may still be frozen as it thaws on the counter, the outer layer of the food could be in the "Danger Zone," between 40 and 140 °F — temperatures where bacteria multiply rapidly.

When thawing frozen food, it's best to plan ahead and thaw in the refrigerator where it will remain at a safe, constant temperature — at 40 °F or below.

There are three safe ways to thaw food: in the refrigerator, in cold water, and in the microwave.

Refrigerator Thawing
Cold Water Thawing
Microwave Thawing
Cooking Without Thawing

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets/Big_Thaw/

chicken
icon_wink.gif

Would you (Len) be more comfortable if it was on a wire rack?

Hey Clint, if you want to use a wire rack, go right ahead. Enough said.

For Richard, if it's good enough for the USDA.....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Len Dennis:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Clint:

Personally, I'd set it on the counter for the first few hours to defrost, counting on the frozen part to keep the rest of it within safe temperatures. Then just stick it in the fridge. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
e Big Thaw — Safe Defrosting Methods — for Consumers
Uh, oh! You're home and forgot to thaw something for dinner. You grab a package of meat or chicken and use hot water to thaw it fast. But is this safe? What if you remembered to take food out of the freezer, but forgot and left the package on the counter all day while you were at work?

Neither of these situations is considered safe, and these methods of thawing may lead to foodborne illness. Raw or cooked meat, poultry or egg products, as any perishable foods, must be kept at a safe temperature during "the big thaw." They are safe indefinitely while frozen. However, as soon as they begin to thaw and become warmer than 40 °F, bacteria that may have been present before freezing can begin to multiply.

Perishable foods should never be thawed on the counter, or in hot water and must not be left at room temperature for more than two hours.

Even though the center of the package may still be frozen as it thaws on the counter, the outer layer of the food could be in the "Danger Zone," between 40 and 140 °F — temperatures where bacteria multiply rapidly.

When thawing frozen food, it's best to plan ahead and thaw in the refrigerator where it will remain at a safe, constant temperature — at 40 °F or below.

There are three safe ways to thaw food: in the refrigerator, in cold water, and in the microwave.

Refrigerator Thawing
Cold Water Thawing
Microwave Thawing
Cooking Without Thawing

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets/Big_Thaw/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow. So thawing in cool water seems like the way to go, considering not enough time for the fridge. So once thawed (in the water), can I put back in the fridge until it's time to cook (assuming it thaws earl on Sat)?

Richard: yes. Just remember to change the water. If you've got some, you could even put ice cubes in the water to keep it colder longer.

Like in a cooler.

Just make sure the meat is submerged below the water at all times.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Len Dennis:
Richard: yes. Just remember to change the water. If you've got some, you could even put ice cubes in the water to keep it colder longer.

Like in a cooler.

Just make sure the meat is submerged below the water at all times. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Awesome! Thanks, I appeciate the guidance.

I've always wondered about the "danger" of thawing meat on the kitchen counter and then throwing it in the smoker or oven and cooking it to a safe temperature. Will this not kill off the bacteria that may have begun to grow while sitting on the counter?

If you safely thaw your brisket/turkey/butt in the fridge and then put it in your smoker low and slow where it will remain below 140 degrees for many hours just as conducive to bacteria growth?

When cooking sous vide, does the meat not remain below the safe temperature for numerous hours?

I thaw chicken in cold water all the time. If I'm in a hurry I thaw chicken under running warm water and I haven't killed or made anyone sick.

I figure as long as I cook it to a safe temperature all that extra bacteria that may have grown is dead anyways.

I agree with Bob. If I haven't refrigerator defrosted, I will often put small cuts, like chicken pieces, chops, steaks, or ground meat, on the counter to start the defrosting process.
I do place in the refrigerator when I feel them start to defrost. I will not do this with a large cut like a whole chicken or roast. If I forget and leave on the counter overnight or all day until completely defrosted, I will not use it. I have never killed or made anyone sick from my cooking.

Slightly running cool water will defrost it faster as it creates convection.

I can thaw a steak in 10 minutes this way.

You just have a container that would hold the item and that would fit in your sink, so the overflow can run into the sink. For a steak I use a small bowl and put a metal chain on top of the it to prevent it from floating.

For a brisket.... get creative! I also wouldn't hesistate to throw the brisket partially thawed onto the smoker. I am sure it would increase your cook time some, but be better than nothing.

^^^^ Cold running water is what i have always used.

Maybe put it in a 5 gallon bucket and do it in the bathtub.

Paul

Richard, cook it frozen. I do it all the time. Great smoke ring. You just have to delay putting in any temp probes until it thaws a little

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lew Newby:
Clint posted the link. It's in the safety compilation on this BBQ forum and answers the questions. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It does.

The FDA/USDA dumbs down answers for 'consumers'. They also tend to sweep everything - in this case 'perishable foods' - into one category. Not so fast. Uncooked roasts that are frozen and destined to be thoroughly cooked are not the same as cooked meats that have been frozen that one wants to reheat.

Yeah, if you don't mind wasting a bit of water, cold running water seems to work best and keep things safe.
icon_smile.gif

Back