Fried green tomatoes

Geir Widar

TVWBB Wizard
I managed to snip off the wrong branch on one of my tomato plants, and I suddenly had a bunch of green tomatoes. What a bummer.

Or maybe not.

2014720_DSC_1162.jpg

I also made some fried squids to eat with the tomatoes. Not bad, If I must say so.

2014720_DSC_1164.jpg

Thank you for your time.

No, no unions, but it could have been. The look is almost the same, if you make them right.
I chose to use an english term, not an italian one, as Calamari is italian for a"Squid". (Plural- Calamaro) :) It is a mediteranian dish, mostly, in the form we eat it today, but squids have not surprisingly been used as food all over the world. Tempura covered, and here, drizzled with Panko, is just one way of preparing a squid. :)

Well, the song is from a movie, a watchable one, from 1991, if my memory serves me right.

Do try the dish, but it might be hard to obtain green tomatoes if you don't have access to a tomato plant.

Fry them, let them rest for a few minutes, they will taste better after a short rest, and enjoy!

The recipe, and the dish, is as far as I know a recipe from southern USA, and traditional food?

Geir, i am so glad to see you posting again your posts. Food that you are presenting here really look like from chef of the Noma restaurant.
My friend, if I could be John Coffey from the Green Mile movie, I would send your health problems a few thousand miles to the east (to a gentleman who thinks he owns the world)
I love everything your posts, Sir. Very competent, educated and with a great overview. Thank you.

The recipe, and the dish, is as far as I know a recipe from southern USA, and traditional food?

Very much so. It was quite regional to the south until the movie, then it grew in popularity throughout the country.

Americans recognize "squid" as an animal, but to most of us, "calamari" is the dish...funny how words work.

Nothing wrong with green tomatoes, and yours look great. Anyone know where to get pickled green tomatoes? I used to be able to get them everywhere and now they do not seem to exist.

diggin' the green tomatoes...
Sir Geir, ya gotta include your grillin' / cookin' apparatus for it's full effect ;)

BS aside, you're a King at preppin' dinner plates!
Looks Fantastic!!

No, I used a deep fryer and sunseed oil. I will try bacon fat and a skillet next time. The taste was great, especially after a short rest, as mentioned, so I'll make more now that I have access to green tomatoes. That's something that is impossible to find at the greengrocer's here in Norway.

Back