Fresh only, or ok to Freeze?

Clay Cope

TVWBB Fan
It's hit or miss up here in the NW to get some good cow. Often, I'll see something like a great deal on a brisket, or a New York Roast. I know everyone prefers meat not previously frozen, but I have an empty freezer. What would the impact be to the meat if I purchased a brisket for example, froze it, then thawed and smoked versus smoking a not frozen one?

First off, the best meat in the world is the meat that you have on hand. Don't be afraid to buy meat and freeze it if that's what gets BBQ on your plate.

There's no question that freezing and thawing meat causes changes to the cell walls and other microscopic properties. Does this result in poor or inferior meat? Definitely not poor, and in my opinion not even inferior.

Simply put, I think the differences between fresh and previously frozen exist in the lab, and not on the plate. I have made loin roasts from previously frozen pork and they have been moist, tender and delicious.

You do want to be mindful of how it's stored. You want little to no air in the package and a plastic of decent thickness. The Food Saver has a lot of fans around here, and it's probably a great product, but I'm too cheap so I use the Reynold's vacuum pump and bags. At $9 for the pump and $3 for a box of bags I think it does just fine and has kept my meat in great shape. If the meat is already in a cryovac, then you scored a bonus. Don't freeze it in the regular store packaging though. It'll last a little while, but not long, and you don't want to open that freezer to a bad surprise.

The real problems start when you thaw frozen meat and then re-freeze it. Frozen once, in my experience, is pretty indistinguishable from fresh if you thaw and use it within a reasonable time.

So it's a bad idea to freeze meat in its original grocery store packaging? Good to know that as I've been buying steaks on sale and just throwing them in the freezer for later use. Would that explain why some of my medium cooked steaks (mostly rib eyes and NY steaks) turn out tough and chewy from time to time after being frozen for a couple of weeks?

Clay,
I agree that you can buy meat and freeze it if you have to do so. I have done it before and I haven't noticed any loss of quality. Dave is right. If you freeze and re-freeze the meat, then you will start to have issues. Fresh is nice but not always possible.
Lance

I buy and freeze meat all the time as I take advantage of sales. I believe rewrapping is important, and I usually use my Food Saver for that. Just did a turkey breast this past weekend that turned out great. I've got a whole pork loin thawing in the fridge right now.

Paul

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul K:
I buy and freeze meat all the time as I take advantage of sales. Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Absolutely. Take advantage of those sales. That's what freezers are for.

George-
If your steaks were dry, tough, or grayish that's classic freezer burn. Most grocery stores wrap beef on a styrofoam tray, and the plastic wrap isn't airtight. Meat frozen that way will slowly dehydrate in the freezer... freezer burn. If there are ice crystals forming on the meat, gray spots, etc, just throw it out.

My fiancee and I buy the big family packs of ribeyes and porterhouses when they're on sale. We put two steaks in a reynolds bag and vacuum them. They stay red in the bag for a long time, but in the grocery store packs they turn gross pretty fast.

Clay-
One thing I'll mention is defrosting. For a big cut of meat like brisket, it's tempting to leave it out on the counter to thaw. While it takes longer to thaw in the fridge, it also keeps the bacteria off.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jake S:
If your steaks were dry, tough, or grayish that's classic freezer burn. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not sure about the amount of freezer burn after only 3 weeks.
But in any case, that store-wrap is not much of a barrier to moisture-loss in the freezer.

Some other usual suspects that can cause steaks to be dry, tough and greyish include:
- not allowing the meat to come to room temp ~an hour before cooking.
- steaks too thin combined with too low heat. (check out this synopsis of Cook's Illustrated method for perfect steaks: bring 1.5" thick steaks to room temp; salt & pepper each side; cook on rack in preheated 275? oven until steak internal is 95?; then remove and sear for ~2-3 mins on each side until target internal temp is reached; rest for 10 mins under foil tent)
- or cooking too long (easy to do with thin steaks) - best to take meat off the grill ~10º lower than your finish target. (for Medium, take off at ~125º, cover loosely with foil and temp will continue to climb to low 130º range)
- finally, not allowing the steak to rest for ~10 mins after pulling it off the grill. This rest time allows moisture to redistribute throughout the meat andd for it to "relax" (get tender).
HTH

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jake S: Most grocery stores wrap beef on a styrofoam tray, and the plastic wrap isn't airtight. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whenever possible I try to get larger cuts in the cryovac packaging. These freeze very well, since they're already vacuum sealed in a heavier bag than I have available to use. One local store was getting pork butts, 2 to a cryovac package - which they opened, and individually wrapped to put out for sale. I just had them weigh and price a couple of the 2-butt packages without opening them, then put them straight into my freezer. You might ask at the meat counter if they have the cut you're looking for in a similar package, especially if you want to buy more than one.

LArry, that's exactly what I had in mind. Purchasing whole Brisket, or the cryovac butts when I find them that look good.
I'll go plug in the freezer and get it going.

I freeze Brisket flats, packers, butts and ribs, both beef, and pork, chicken, turkeys all the time, no worries at all. When you thaw, just do it slowly in the fridge over a few days. You'll notice very little difference over fresh verses frozen.
icon_wink.gif
The only I do not ever freeze is burger, IMO, is looses something in the freeze.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Larry D.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jake S: Most grocery stores wrap beef on a styrofoam tray, and the plastic wrap isn't airtight. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

One local store was getting pork butts, 2 to a cryovac package - which they opened, and individually wrapped to put out for sale. I just had them weigh and price a couple of the 2-butt packages without opening them, then put them straight into my freezer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do this every time my local grocery store has a sale on butts. Its great to get 40lbs of pork in cryo for 40 bucks. Plus my local grocery cuts the 10lbers in half, which I hate. If you get them in cryo they are whole another bonus.

Freezing is ok, just be careful to defrost properly. The best way is too let it defrost in the fridge, but in a swirling bath of cold water is also fine if you use it right after. I would say never defrost in the microwave - you'll wind up partially cooking the meat in spots. This is especially true with ground beef. If the ground beef gets partially cooked, it wont hold together when you try to form it into patties.

Back