Freezing a brisket

John Neuser

TVWBB Fan
Good morning everyone. I'm planning a serving brisket for Father's Day, Sunday, June 19th for a family gathering. Costco had some good looking full prime briskets yesterday. In your collective opinions, how long do you think I can freeze a brisket before it has a negative affect? If I buy one this weekend and freeze will it still be it still be OK to start smoking on Saturday, June 18th or should I wait a couple of weeks and risk not being able to get a full prime packer? Thank folks. As always, I appreciate all the great info, assistance and information on the site.

I've done it and the Brisket turned out great. No problem. Just get it out of the freezer and into the fridge early enough to get it thawed. I use 5 days for that.

Yep. I've had some for over a year in the freezer.
I know some people wet age for a month or so, I tried that one time and mine must of had some pinholes because the meat went bad and I tossed it.

I leave them in the cryo pack and freeze them all the time. My last one was in there for a year and tasted just fine. As said above, remember it takes a good long time for it to thaw though.

Cryovac packaging is great at protecting meat from freezer burn and other degrading factors so it should store well for several months.

You can go ahead and smoke the brisket, then freeze it. This is what I do. I reheat the brisket in a steamer, and it works great. Gives you more time at your gathering too!

Good morning everyone. I'm planning a serving brisket for Father's Day, Sunday, June 19th for a family gathering. Costco had some good looking full prime briskets yesterday. In your collective opinions, how long do you think I can freeze a brisket before it has a negative affect? If I buy one this weekend and freeze will it still be it still be OK to start smoking on Saturday, June 18th or should I wait a couple of weeks and risk not being able to get a full prime packer? Thank folks. As always, I appreciate all the great info, assistance and information on the site.
I recently smoked one of those Costco prime briskets, that was frozen for 2 years.
It came out perfectly.
We ate the flat, froze the cooked point, and made burnt ends with it a few weeks later.

Back