Fork Tender Brisket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe McManus

TVWBB All-Star
I'm trying brisket again this weekend. My first attempt left me with good food, but was dry dry dry. In reading through various briskets posts here and at other web sites, the term "fork tender" is often mentioned. When I grill, I use feel quite a lot to judge food, supplemented by the use of a thermometer when appropriate. I guess my first attempt at brisket, I was relying almost exclusivley on temperature. If such a test as sticking a fork into the brisket exists, doesn't that piercing lead to a draining of any juices (same reason you don't pierce a steak)?

Does anyone care to try to put to words what a done brisket "feels" like? In time I'll gain the experience to answer this myself, just thought I'd ask. Links to relavent previous strings would be great, and I'll keep up the search myself.

Joe,

Let me be the first to admit to being a brisket novice. I have done 4. The first, I attempted after casually reading some directions here, with similar results as you described.

The next three, I've done using the Wet Rub from this site and what I have dubbed the "Over & Under" cook. Basically, you put a brisket under a pork shoulder and as it cooks, the pork "bastes" the brisket under it. I pulled the briskets at 180 (as repeatedly recommended, by many fine cooks here), wrapped it in foil, put it in a dry foam cooler, and this weekend, 6 hours later, sliced it and served it along with the chopped pork.

I've only done it by temp and letting it rest. Nothing but raving compliments. Like cooking with the WSM, this method seems childishly easy. Hope this helps.

Joe....

Huge BBQ myth! Feel free to insert fork and twist! I get a kick out of the chefs that tell you this and then immediately start poking their thermo's into the meat to check for doneness!

Meat is comprised of milions of INDIVIDUAL cells, each containing water. When you pierce with a fork, you are rupturing a very small number of those cells.

Next time you do this, check the meat closely...it leaks a very small amount of liquid for a few seconds. It does not run continuously as if there was only one large cell of water.

I am willing to bet that it leaks less than 1 teaspoon total of liquid.

So, yes, use your fork to test for doneness. You can also use a probe and stick it into the meat in several places. You feel the tenderness with either method.

I also think foiling at the very end and resting for minimum 1 hr. will help greatly. I always pour about 1/2 cup of beef broth before foiling. Once out of the foil, be sure to use those drippings by adding to whatever sauce you are using.

The perfectly done brisket will, as Stogie said, be fork tender and give no resistance. (I'm currently munching leftovers for lunch... yum!) You can tell the perfect time when you stick a thermo probe into the meat here and there and have problems telling if you've stuck the probe into lean meat or into a fat pocket.

The ULTIMATE perfect brisket will dance for you. My husband Robert was having fun poking at one of this weekend's briskets and watching it do a visual rendition of "Waba-Waba" - like meat jello. "Watch it wiggle, see it jiggle..." A lovely smoke-ring, tender and juicy but not pot-roast-ish, and 99 cents a pound to boot.

How it went: 2 smallish full packers (10 and 12 lb), partially trimmed, and cut between point and flat but not separated. Coated with a combination of Head Country rub and MOntreal Steak seasoning, with a few more goodies thrown in for good measure. Went into the smoker at 10:30 or so, full ring of Kingsford, 15 lit on top, pecan for smoke, vents 100%, hot water in Brinkman pan. Vents to 33% at 180, held 234 +-2 in the lid all night. I think the slightly lower temp in the lid throughout the night contributed to a longer stay in the high 160's plateau zone, actually, to the benefit of the meat. Never stirred coals, didn't flip or reverse from top to bottom. Topped water when the dogs wanted outside about 4 am, but didn't really need to. I guess I just felt like I needed to do SOMETHING to it. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Temp rose to 258 upon sunup, as I could tell by the trusty ET-73 receiver sitting on the windowsill of our bedroom. Left 'em in till meat temp was actually close to 200 - the highest I've ever run a brisket to my knowledge. (I usually pull them at around 188-190, or when a fork will test with no resistance). I always check several areas throughout the brisket to check temps - figured I was safe when I couldn't tell fat from lean by resistance of the probe. They came off about 10 a.m. to be foiled, wrapped in towels and blankets, and tucked away in the ice chest for a hour or two's rest. I haven't tried Stogie's technique of adding beef broth upon foiling, but may have to, next time, out of curiosity.

Brisket jello, my dear Joe, brisket jello! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Now, granted, I DID have to slice these a bit thicker, but the slices held together nicely. Barely. It was probably a bit over-tender for competition purposes, but the trophy I like to go for is that glazed look in the eye and that low moan of ecstasy followed by a mumbled "ooooh d@mn..." after someone gets their first taste of the meat de jour.

Now you guys can't sit there and honestly tell me that you don't just love seeing that reaction...

Keri C, smokin on Tulsa Time
(who once again proves that she can't write a short post to save her life)

You know Joe, I have never had a dry brisket with my WSM. I rub the meat down with whatever rub I am using, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight and let it sit the next day on the counter while I ready the WSM. Ready or not here it comes onto the smoker.

I do wait until the internal meat temperature is 180 F and then take it off and let it rest. If you don't let it rest and start cutting and slicing it can dry out I think.

I have gotten into the habit of taking the brisket off the smoker and basteing with a sweet barbecue sauce and then placing directly over the coals for just a few minutes to crisp up the bark on the outside of the brisket. It really adds almost a steak flavor to it! Try it sometimes!

I let it rest as I said and I use an electric el cheapo slicer (I only use it for brisket and sliced pork) and cut thin slices.

Regards,

PrestonD

Keri,

Do you do your brisket fat cap up or down? And do you trim it at all? Last question: do you put rub on the fat cap?

Thanks.

Steve, Stogie, and Keri,

First of all thanks for the encourgement.

Second, I guess I didn't think about it but the every time I use an instant read thermo to check temp, I'm acutally doing a "fork test". The light bulb just went on!

I had planned on doing a butt on the top this weekend, not for basting purposes, but to bring in a treat for the guys at work on Monday. I'll have added benefit there I suppose.

I'll try the beef broth trick upon foiling. I've read that those juices do magical things to the sauce so I'll be trying that as well.

Keri - I hear every word you're saying about watching people's reaction. Anyone can say "wow this is good", but to see their eyes roll back and that satisfied grin, a big breath in, that's when you know something's good.

Tom,

a) I do fat cap up the entire time, on both top and bottom racks. Some say flip. If you accidently let the water pan go dry, or if you're using sand, you better flip it or you might wind up with HARD bark on the bottom (trust me on that one). With water in the pan, it's fine as it sits, in my experience - no major heat radiating straight to the bottom of the bottom brisket. Some cook the entire time with the fat cap down to protect the meat from the most intense heat. There may well be merit to that, but I haven't tried it personally. Force of habit.

b) yes, I trim off the hard suet-type fat that won't render on the end, sides, and between the point and the flat. I like to go ahead and cut in about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way between the flat and the point, both to make it easier to separate after it's done and to get more seasoning action happening. I usually trim off some excess from the top fat cap layer as well, although not nearly down to the 1/8 inch that some trim to. I also like to slash the fat cap all over the top of the brisket in a 2-to-4-inch diamond pattern, almost down to but not actually into the meat.

c) yes, I put rub on the fat cap as well as on the bottom of the brisket, and also on the inside surfaces between the flat and the point. It appears that slashing the fat cap seems to allow the juices that have picked up the rub on TOP of the fat cap to run further down into the meat, carrying seasoning with it.

To wit, I actually have no idea why these certain briskets turned out so well. May have been particularly happy cows. for all I know, but at least I know exactly what I did! /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Keri C, still smokin on Tulsa Time
(who could easily have answered Tom's post with "Up... yes... yes" but where would the fun have been in that???)

Thanks, Keri.

I haven't done a brisket yet, but I see one in my future. In fact I've never had real brisket, so I'm not sure what to expect.

I'm sure it will be a wonderful experience.

Hey Tom,

This will only be my second brisket attempt. Like you, I'd never really even had brisket before prior to making it my first time. I had tried it at several Q joints but was always disappointed. So I figured if you need something done right, better do it yourself.

I knew my first attempt was dry, but the flavor of the meat is unbelievable. I graded my first attempt a C+, mostly because of dryness, but brisket just might become my favorite BBQ food.

Keri's got some great advice here and I plan on using all of it. Give brisket a try. Even if it comes out dry, it takes sauce very well and will wow your guests. And the shredded beef that comes from the point section makes awsome burrito filling!

Joe, I am by pork butts the way you are about brisket. This ol' Oklahoma girl had never eaten pulled pork until I tried my first butt along with a brisket as my first WSM cook. I did my first brisket on my own (i.e. without my Texas-born grandpa's supervision) probably 30 years ago, but had never done a butt until about a year and a half ago. I've still not tasted pulled pork that I like in a restaurant. I recently had "barbecue" in a restaurant at Murrels Inlet, South Carolina, that my low-country family raved about, but I find that I don't really care for the intense vinegary taste and such finely chopped meat. No smoke to it, either, BTW. They love it. (As an off-topic comment, I have a cousin out there who makes huge hand-made hardwood "barbecue trays". I'd never seen such a thing, and I think I'm going to have to have him make me one. Sizes run from one that would hold a half a dozen slabs of spares up to full-pig size.) If you order pork around here (Oklahoma), it's typically sliced loin or tenderloin. Can't think of a single barbecue restaurant around Tulsa at the moment that offers pulled pork.

Except at Cathey's Cafe & Odd-Hours Diner . Then you get whatever the cook's in the mood to cook. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Keri C, still smokin on Tulsa Time

All this talk of brisket makes me want to try another one! I've cooked 3 with varying results...and the hints/tips here make me feel like success is just one cook away! I'm still looking for a good sauce for a brisket! Not trying to hijack this thread though...

Keri - Living in Eastern NC I grew up with, and still drool at the thought of, vinegar based sauces! However, now that I have been cooking my own pork for so long, and most importantly, pulling it, I have gotten about restaurants around here the way you are with the one in SC. The pork is chopped entirely too fine (typically so they can cut in much more fat IMHO) and has no smoke flavor! I have read that unless you meet some fairly strict requirements, wood/charcoal cooking is no longer allowed in a commercial restaurant. I think you either have to be in the family that owns a wood/charcoal fired establishment already, or buy into one. But no new ones allowed... /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Rick, if you'll send me your snail mail address offline, I'll send you some good rub and sauce for that absolutely outstanding brisket that you're getting ready to cook. I don't think Head Country sells in stores that far east - they're based in Ponca City here in OK, and their products are all over the place here. The "HOT" is wonderful on brisket, though. Go read about them when you have time - great folks, and some FINE seasonings. And their salsa makes Pace Picante Sauce look and taste like water. <insert drool icon here, if Chris ever puts one up for us... /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif >

Blues Hog is my other favorite. Thick, sweet, and spicy, and so good! He's making a thinner spicy red vinegary not-too-sweet sauce now called "Tennessee Red" that my husband loves - he's not very big on sauces with a lot of sweet. Bill Arnold, chief cook and bottle washer of Blues Hog, is out of Perry, MO. I don't know if Tennessee Red is available off his website yet or not, but it just might trip your trigger. If it isn't on the website and you want to try it, send him an e-mail or call him and tell him that a porch member in Oklahoma told you to call and ask him for a jug of it.

Has anyone used the Head Country marinade along with their rub overnight like they tell you to do on their website? Does the marinade make a significant difference in taste/tenderness?

Would like to bounce one more thought around here. Sorry for being an info glutton today.

Dinner's to be served at 5:00p on Saturday. Butts and Brisket, overnighter, starting Friday 10 or 11p. Question, will the brisket hold temperatrue wrapped in foil and towels in a cooler for upto 5 hours (anticipating it to be done well before 5)? Best way to reheat if necessary...oven?, back in the smoker? on the kettle cooking burgers and brats? Am I worring about this too much?

Can't wait til tomorrow night to get this thing kicked off.

Last weekend I kept a single brisket, triple-wrapped in HD foil, wrapped in towels, in a cooler from about 10:30 am to about 5:00 pm. It was still warm at 5:00, but not HOT. Not cool enough that I had to reheat it, though. That length of time was probably pushing it. However, you're going to have more mass - the brisket will have that nice warm butt to snuggle up against to help it keep warm.

Run hot water into your cooler and let it sit for a while to pre-heat the cooler before you pull the meat. The smaller the cooler, the better, as long as the meat will fit in it. The brisket will probably be done before the butt, depending on size. As you pull them, wrap the butt and brisket each in microwave-safe plastic wrap, then in a few layers of HD foil. Now's your chance to try Stogie's method of pouring 1/2 cup of beef broth in with the brisket when you wrap it. Put a towel or two on the bottom of your cooler, and snuggle the meats up to each other. Wrap another few towels around the two of them together, and layer an old blanket or two on top of and around the towels. To really play it safe, stick a remote thermo probe through the foil into the brisket and run it to the outside of the cooler so that you can keep an eye on the temps. If they start dropping anywhere close to 140, go turn on the oven in the house to about 160 and put the foiled meats in there until dinnertime.

Make a show out of pulling the pork and slicing the brisket in front of your guests, generously offering a delectable tidbit to a privileged few while you're working. That's part of the fun. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Just my version of stuff... YMMV

Keri,

I didn't forget to thank someone with wonderful advice, just didn't have much on-line access over the weekend.

Brisket turned out great. Was a huge hit. Was a 15 pounder, nice thick, uniform flat section. Got started a little late on Friday night (midnight), but it worked anyway. Pulled the brisket at about 1pm on saturday, solid 180 to 185 over the flat. I didn't fork it, but the used the instant read thermo instead. Tripple wrapped in HD AL foil, towels and it held until 5:00 when it was still at 160*. Now I didn't have any jello jigglin' brisket, but it was great. I tried Stogie's 1/2 cup beef broth too.

The meat did stay much moister this time. I was able to give it a good thin slice. Thanks for the advice on putting foil around the tips. As you can imagine, a 15 pounder took up ALOT of space.

Had about a 50/50 split on people who liked the pulled pork or brisket. Not quite fair because I've done a whole lot more butts than brisket.

Also smoked up some fresh polish sausages for appitizers. They were great. I'll be doing that at every BBQ I throw from now on.

In the end, no one went home hungry, quite the opposite, which is I guess one of the objectives of throwing a bbq.

Kari, thanks again for the lengthy descriptions and the hand holding through this brisket session. I learned a ton, most imporant that there's no replacement for experience, and I plan on getting as much of that as I can. I graded it a solid B this time...above average, but not super. The rub could have been better, but maybe some of was washed off by the pork drippings. And thats why we alway have next weekend.

BTW - I think this brisket put me over the edge, brisket done well is my favorite BBQ food (till I do ribs next weekend!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back