For those who have the compression latch.

Dale Nichols

TVWBB Super Fan
Did you see any difference adding a high heat gasket when installing the latch? I am going to install my CB door and latch soon. I can't see where adding the gasket will do much good.

I did not add a gasket with a cajun bandit door and compression latch. Appears to be a super tight fit without gasket. Zero smoke or heat loss.

I thought I read the gasket keeps the handle from getting real hot. That is the only negative that I hear about the latch. I really don't see how the gasket would make any difference but some have tried it. So let's see what they have to say.

i tried the stock door latch and the south co compression latch and the compression latch is the way to go..but then i went in for the kill and did the gaskets too,now,super air tight

I have done the gaskets, the door and the latch. My 22 was slightly out of round when I got it, and although I tweeked it and the original door, it still leaked a lot. The gaskets got rid of a lot of leakage and the SS door a little more, but it still leaked around the left side of the door. I tried to tweek the door, but it didn't help. Add the gaskets to the door and no more visible leak. BTW, I added the gasket to the inside of the door. This makes it invisible from the general view...

I have done the gaskets, the door and the latch. My 22 was slightly out of round when I got it, and although I tweeked it and the original door, it still leaked a lot. The gaskets got rid of a lot of leakage and the SS door a little more, but it still leaked around the left side of the door. I tried to tweek the door, but it didn't help. Add the gaskets to the door and no more visible leak. BTW, I added the gasket to the inside of the door. This makes it invisible from the general view...

the gaskets can only help they cant hurt,my door was a but off on the top right corner and i too had to tweak it and still could not get it to my satisfaction thats when I opted to install the gaskets and i was supposed to cut the excess off with a razor but have yet to get around to it but I do like your idea of adding the gasket to the door

I've done four or five cooks on mine with the CB door and this compression latch and don't think the handle has ever warmed up enough that I've needed a glove. Always practice safe stoking and glove up if I'm stirring coals, or putting wood in specific spots, but have grabbed it several times for a quick peek barehanded and been just fine so far.

Back