For those doing a lot of refurb and other work

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Saw this test on PF, and thought some here would find it useful. FWIW, I have tried a variety of powered "screwdrivers" (which I differentiate from "power drivers" and "impact drivers"). I went through so many different ones in my mixer work as sometimes my wrists just give trouble due to carpal tunnel (too many years as a field technician). Anyway I've got a pretty good collection of drivers. Either too slow, too fast, too powerful or not powerful enough. Too heavy and too awkward or overall just not "versatile" enough to be put to use rebuilding a machine where I have LOTS of screws and just sometimes need "relief" for my wrist.
Full disclosure my all time fav and the one that is now my "go to" for doing everything so well and being so versatile is the DeWalt 8V shown in this test. I have not seen the video to the end but I will watch it.
Your personal needs may vary but I love the DeWalt.

I had one of those B&Ds and even a Crapsman one. OK at best. He rated the DeWalt very well but did not "choose" it. I've tried lots of them. But, only way you get my DeWalt is to pry it from my cold dead hands

Those types are just too big and bulky for my needs. I have 12V Bosch impact and regular drivers. And I LOVE them. But, when I am twisting screws by the dozens on a hard mixer day, nothing beats my DeWalt and it's my "go to" tool for everything lately around the house. Only thing I need to do is grab a second battery for it. As I have pretty well worn it down on longer jobs. Versatile as all get out.
But don't go trying to snag my little 12V Bosch tools from me either or you will likely get hurt.
I also have and love 2 DeWalt 20V atomic impact wrenches. I had a Bosch 18V 1/2" and gave it to daughter's SO. As these DeWalts (both the 3/8" and the 1/2") are incredible and yet they're smaller than a couple of my 12V Bosch tools. Which I love, because when I need to pull the blades out from under the Kubota, I don't have a lot of space, and the smaller 12v tools don't have the moxy to pull those giant bolts off the spindles. They take 22MM socket!
I get under there with the DeWalt 1/2" and it rips them out faster than s^&t through a goose

This falls right into my wheelhouse as a copier tech. My main workhorse is the Hitachi db3dl2(It's sold now as Metabo). The only thing with it, is its fast speed is extremely fast. But I've had it for at least 10 years now and I've only had trouble with the rubber grip peeling off. However, the DeWalt once you get used to the gyroscopic control its way more responsive and gives you more control. I'm just trying to wear out the Hitachi at work and I keep the DeWalt 8V at home. I've got the one that has the torque settings and the handle converts to pistol grip. I love that thing and I highly recommend it as well. The Hitachi is way more likely to strip screw heads, etc if you aren't careful but, but it's a great choice as well and is better if you just want speed. Once I wear out the Hitachi it's getting replaced by the DeWalt.

To me, being able to use it straight handled is a must. I can't explain why but I only use pistol grip in tighter quarters.

This falls right into my wheelhouse as a copier tech. My main workhorse is the Hitachi db3dl2(It's sold now as Metabo). The only thing with it, is its fast speed is extremely fast. But I've had it for at least 10 years now and I've only had trouble with the rubber grip peeling off. However, the DeWalt once you get used to the gyroscopic control its way more responsive and gives you more control. I'm just trying to wear out the Hitachi at work and I keep the DeWalt 8V at home. I've got the one that has the torque settings and the handle converts to pistol grip. I love that thing and I highly recommend it as well. The Hitachi is way more likely to strip screw heads, etc if you aren't careful but, but it's a great choice as well and is better if you just want speed. Once I wear out the Hitachi it's getting replaced by the DeWalt.

To me, being able to use it straight handled is a must. I can't explain why but I only use pistol grip in tighter quarters.
I looked at that one before I got the DeWalt. I too was a tech like yourself only about a lifetime ago. Got my start in the business in 1973, stayed in for 14+ years and then went on to being an instructor for Canon USA.
That aside what I would not have given for a tool like either that Hitachi or the DeWalt. But, especially the DeWalt. Believe me you gotta try it. If you like that Hitachi you will LOVE the DeWalt.

I didn't get that across I guess, but the DeWalt is superior. It's a fantastic tool. I loaned it to my wife one time to use as work for something and none of the women in her office could figure out how to work it. I thought that was pretty funny. I should have explained it but it just didn't even cross my mind.

There used to be a show on the DIY Network called Cool Tools, hosted by Chris Grundy. Pammi and I enjoyed watching it because he's pretty funny
One of the things he showed once was a Worx cordless screwdriver that had a rotating bit holder inside. Pammmi thought that that was the coolest thing, so I bought it for her for Christmas
Her then BFF had a FIT about it, even though Pammi very obviously LOVED it
We still have it and she gets a kick when I ask her if I can borrow her screwdriver!
1710292351509.png

Back