Foiling the Water Pan, and Does That Affect Temp

Eugene A

TVWBB Fan
Hello, Everyone:

I just left one of my Facebook groups where they were discussing foiling the water pan, and whether or not that would have an effect on temperature control. I don't think that it does.

By way of background, I haven't been at this as long as most of you have. I did learn a few things, however. I'm still learning how to control the cooking temp, and I did note that the temp fluctuations aren't as severe as they were when I first used the cooker. Also, I started foiling the water pan, outside and inside, and cleanup was a snap...dump the water, remove the foil, wipe with some paper towels, and it's done.

Anyway, back to the foiling question. Without getting into the debate of whether or not to foil the pan, some folks suggested that foiling the water pan would affect temperature control, while others offered comments/suggestions regarding air gaps and such. I don't think that using aluminum foil on the water pan would have any effect on cooker temperature.

I thought that I'd throw the question out to all of you to get your reaction. :confused:

I think most people on here foil the water pan, especially if they are not putting water in it. I personally foil the water pan and put a foiled clay saucer on top. I don't see a difference in temp control.

If you are foiling the outside of the water pan and using water, than a thin piece of foil will do nothing IMO with temps.
Foiling an empty pan with an airspace does offer some insulation from your drippings burning, but that can only go so far.
If you do foil the inside of the water pan, that could lead to "wicking" and if you have a small hole in your foil the water can be drawn out, and slowly snuff out your fire.

Tim

I've heard of foiling the pan, with balls of loosely crimped foil underneath, being particularly effective. Never tried it but might do so in the future. A double foiled clay terra cotta saucer works perfectly well for me.

I personally foil the water pan and put a foiled clay saucer on top.

Tried this method just this past weekend and it worked very well (no water). I've checked out the Facebook group Eugene speaks of and yes there are some using the balls of foil which was the first time I'd heard of it.

Here's my take. Some use water, some use sand, some use wet sand, some nothing, I heard of clay pots, Brinkman pans, pizza trays, etc, etc. The WSM is such a great design I'm sure there are many ways to get great results. Not sure if there is truly a "right" and "wrong". From my experience I believe 2 things to be true, water is very safe as such a great heatsink to control temps.....and clean is more of a PITA. Othere than that, water is just another option.

I always wonder why we work so hard to season our cookers to cover the shine in an effort to control temps ...then cover the pan with nice shiny foil.

Hey Dwain... lol !
Been a while since changing the bottom foil. Currently nicely seasoned <g>
Placing the really shiny side down when doing the top... if that helps ;)

Back