Foiling a New 18.5" WSM

Ned

I'm the proud owner of a new 18.5" cooker, and I want to place foil inside and outside of the water pan. However, Reynold's heavy duty foil (the widest I can find) is just 18" wide. I can put two pieces together for the outside surface of the water pan, but not for the inside. Has anyone figured out a clever way to line the inside of the water pan? Thanks. Ned

D'oh !!

I had been wondering the same thing
icon_wink.gif

Ned, I've figured out how to wrap inside and out in two pieces.

You've noticed that after you shape the foil to the bowl, it leaves space on either side of the foil (whether inside or out). Well, if you turn your second piece 90 degrees and cut it extra long, it will make up the gap.

So foil the inside with an extra long piece first. Then turn the bowl 90 degrees and foil the outside with an extra long piece (as if the two pieces would make a cross or a 'plus' sign). The outside extra long piece should overlap into the inside of the bowl far enough to cover what the inside piece left exposed. The extra length on the inside piece should likewise cover the exposed area that your outside piece left.

I hope that made sense...

Since its just there for protection,2 peices "crumped up" in the middle(to get a great seal) is not a bad start. Overlapping works ofc...But it will leak abit.

Matt: Thanks for your reply. Your description is very good, but I don't think this resolves the problem of getting coverage on the inside of the pan that will result in no water getting under the foil. Permitting no water under the foil is my goal.
Ned

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Matt Sanders:
Ned, I've figured out how to wrap inside and out in two pieces.

You've noticed that after you shape the foil to the bowl, it leaves space on either side of the foil (whether inside or out). Well, if you turn your second piece 90 degrees and cut it extra long, it will make up the gap.

So foil the inside with an extra long piece first. Then turn the bowl 90 degrees and foil the outside with an extra long piece (as if the two pieces would make a cross or a 'plus' sign). The outside extra long piece should overlap into the inside of the bowl far enough to cover what the inside piece left exposed. The extra length on the inside piece should likewise cover the exposed area that your outside piece left.

I hope that made sense... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Ah. I misunderstood" - Well maby i did aswell?
icon_confused.gif

You wanna foil the pan inside and out and still use water? If so....not a good idea.

If you foil it to catch drippings and stop them from burning my advice or matt´s is the way to go.

Yup, overlap two pieces and fold. Works great for me. The tricky part is placing the water bowl on the brackets in the smoker without tearing the foil.

I found that foiling with water is a waste of time as the water and grease always find their way in. I foil on non water cooks and don't foil otherwise. I've been meaning to do the clay saucer but keep forgetting to pick one up.

BTW - Anyone know what size saucer fits an 18" WSM pan just right?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I've been meaning to do the clay saucer but keep forgetting to pick one up.

BTW - Anyone know what size saucer fits an 18" WSM pan just right? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I bought a 12" clay saucer @ Home Depot for around $6. Works great in the 18" WSM water pan. I foil the pan inside & out, cover the saucer in foil, and then put another piece of foil over that to catch drippings. Makes for easy cleanup, despite using a lot of foil.

Back