Foil for new water pan

Darrell_K

Just got the 18.5" weber. It has the large water pan. I have 18" foil but it doesn't fully cover the pan. I looked at the cost of the 24" foil but is around $200 for a roll. What do you all do when covering the larger pan with foil?

Thanks!

Just got the 18.5" weber. It has the large water pan. I have 18" foil but it doesn't fully cover the pan. I looked at the cost of the 24" foil but is around $200 for a roll. What do you all do when covering the larger pan with foil?

Thanks!

I've had no issues using the standard "wide" foil on/in the factory water pan in my 18.5". Two long pieces 90 degrees apart worked fine. However, in short time, I replaced the stock pan with the Brickmann pan, for which the 18" foil is a perfect fit.

I should also mention that I've never put water in the foiled pan. If you plan on using water and foiling the inside of the pan, I strongly recommend getting the Brickmann pan. Trying that in the deep factory pan could be messy since the water will likely seep between the layers.

EDIT: You can get the Brinkmann pan here. You want the "charcoal" pan, not the "water" pan.

Last edited:
Take two pieces of foil, approx. 2' long and lay one on top of the other, then at the bottom, start folding the the two pieces together in about 1" folds, after about two or three folds, take the folded section and fold it in half so that the folded section appears to 1/2" in width. Then open up the two sheets at the top and lay them across your water pan with the folded seam in the middle, then you just gently push the foil down into the pan making a reservoir and secure the excess around the outside of the pan. Hope that's not too confusing. I should add that I don't add water to the reservoir, it is there only to catch drippings.

Thanks Guys. I think I'll get the Brinkman pan. ChadVKealey curious why the charcoal pan is the one to get.

There's no point in a Brinkman pan for the 22.5. The reasoning I think on the 18.5 is that the stock pan is too deep. Water or no water is fine. I just foil it up and don't use water. You use less fuel and cleanup is slightly easier that way. With water you get easier temp control for low temps and presumably more moisture. I haven't noticed much difference in the final product when I switched.

Back