Flavored charcoal

I have t seen it out and about, I would try it for fun, I don’t think it would add flavor, but if it made my backyard smell like roasting garlic and onion that would be ok. I like to tease the neighbors with my cooks anyways.

The flavored pellets smell great when burning, not sure it adds a lot of flavor though, the charcoal with the hickory in it does work very well I am just too dang cheap to pay the price.

View attachment 46852
Anyone tried this yet? Would you?
I’ve got a bag of this variety in the garage, just haven’t decided when and what to cook on it.

I guess it's to mask the smell and taste of petrochemicals
Oh, like propane... yeah, that makes sense. (🤫 somewhere Hank Hill is screaming now that I wrote this)
I’ll be interested to see how this product smells during lighting. Those who follow Kingsford know that they have changed their formula over the years to include more wood char and less coal, and several varieties are now simply wood char. We’ll see how this one goes.

I’ve got a bag of this variety in the garage, just haven’t decided when and what to cook on it.

I’ll be interested to see how this product smells during lighting. Those who follow Kingsford know that they have changed their formula over the years to include more wood char and less coal, and several varieties are now simply wood char. We’ll see how this one goes.
Well Chris, if I was going to use it I would avoid using any lighting method that may contain chemicals. For me that means brown paper and a chimney.

Notwithstanding my joke from before.

Oh, like propane... yeah, that makes sense. (🤫 somewhere Hank Hill is screaming now that I wrote this)
Properly burning LP does NOT smell. Also the smell unburned LP has (like unburned NG) is added because those fuels have no natural smell. Unlike most briquettes which smell like an oil refinery WHILE they're burning.

Properly burning LP does NOT smell. Also the smell unburned LP has (like unburned NG) is added because those fuels have no natural smell. Unlike most briquettes which smell like an oil refinery WHILE they're burning.
Propane as naturally occurring has no smell, as you mentioned. It is however a petro chemical. It does have exhaust chemicals when burned, both with and without the added smell. It may not be as noticeable to the human nose, but it is still hitting your food and your tastebuds. Individual preference and perception is key on that.

I get the onion and garlic cause Mom always said " if you want the house to smell good, fry up some onions, peppers and garlic" , but paprika?
I dunno I never noticed if that has a distinct smell when cooking.

Back