First smoke on new WSM 18

JMoffatt

So I bought a new WSM 18 last Friday and started with some easy mods, like the handles for the fire grate, a pair of handles for the sides of the middle section, ordered an upgrade kit from Cajun Bandit with the door the fire ring and the 3/8" grommets, any way I did my first cook Sunday with 2 racks of baby backs, I used Kenny Bear BBQ rub and cherry and hickory wood.
The thing held temp almost perfect for the entire 5.5 hours I had the back 2 lower vents closed and the front open about half with the top vent 2/3 open it stayed at 225 all day.
Here's some pics

prepped and ready

cook shack

holding temp perfect

dome temp right on

time to eat

I love the rig and look forward to more fun. hope y'all enjoy.

Last edited:
Cook Shack! I think I'd be living in there. Great setup. Any more pics of the Shack would be greatly appreciated. Something I can dream about. Nice ribs too.

See, my first thought was that it seems a cook shack surrounded by bamboo would have burst into flames at some point. But it looks like you've been using it for a while, so I guess I'm overly cautious. Sure looks like a nice hangout though, for sure - and the ribs look great!

By the way, we happen to have a full-sized battle-scarred replica of the "Come and Take It." flag from the TX capital in our office.

One question (as a newbie), what did you use in the water pan?

Back