First Smoke going on now!

Brian Staley

TVWBB Fan
Started my very first smoke today at 1:10 P.M.
Little over 2 hours in and everything is going great. Doing three racks of ribs the B.R.I.T.U way, and added a beer can chicken about an hour ago. I was looking to fight to keep the temp. low, but it is sitting in the 218 to 222 range, and that is with all bottom vents at 50% and top at 100%. Hope I dont have problems getting the temp up to 275 in an hour..

Brian,

If you have trouble bringing the temp up and you're using some sort of heat sink (water pan, clay saucer, etc.), consider letting the water pan dry up. That in turn will bring your temps up. Just keep an eye on your temps and start to close the bottom vents ONLY, when you're about 25* below target. It's a lot easier to catch temps on the way up than to over shoot and try to bring them down
icon_wink.gif
. A higher cook temp won't hurt your results either. Ribs will still cook and the chicken will have a crispier skin. Good luck.

Paul

Now I am getting mad.. I know I shouldn't but I thought this thing would run hot out of the box...
At 4:11 my time, I had all vents open 100%, I moved the Kingsford around a bit, and watched the temps start going up. I then had to run to the store. At 5:34 when I got back the grill was at 210... So I guess the B.R.I.T.U is out the window, I know they will still be good, and I added one more chimney of 1/2 ashed blue to the mix. BUT still only at 250.. I know I just need to learn this smoker, but it makes me worry about 4 to 6 butts (at night) using the M.M. If I can't get higher temps in the shade on a 88 degree day, whats going to happen at night?

Ok, Ribs are off the smoker and in my belly...
I know this will get better as time goes on, but I gotta say, even though I wasn't able to follow the directions to a T for the B.R.I.T.U, I think these are the best ribs I have ever had. The family is stuffed, and I have enough for plenty of left overs.
few pictures here if anyone wants to see..
https://picasaweb.google.com/I...m/FirstSmokeOnTheWSM

If those were the best ribs you've ever had then your first smoke was a smashing success! Well done. The ribs looked great; fantastic smoke ring. One thing to consider on future cooks is the amount of meat in the smoker. A lot of meat (I know, that's vague)also acts as a heat sink and will work against bringing up your temps. The more cold meat you have in it, the harder it has to work. Did you use the Minion Method for your coals? Did you use a full charcoal ring?

Paul

What thermometer are you using? If you are using the built-in thermo in the WSM dome, you could be getting bad readings. Mine is notoriously 25* or more cooler than the temp I get from a good digital thermometer.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James Jacobson:
What thermometer are you using? If you are using the built-in thermo in the WSM dome, you could be getting bad readings. Mine is notoriously 25* or more cooler than the temp I get from a good digital thermometer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That begs a question...at what point can one ask Weber for a replacement thermo? Does it have to be 10* off? 25*+? Or do we just have to cope with the discrepancy and plan accordingly?

Rich

James I was using the built in thermo, and I also had a cheap over thermo next to the meat. And they were only about 5 degree's different. Coarse, I have no idea if either one is right.....
Paul, I used the method from here for the B.R.I.T.U.,I started with a full chimney of blue, and dumped a full chimney of unlit on top, and added 5 chunks of wood. Let it all burn till ashed over, then put cooker back together. when the smoker was getting close to 225, I added the meat. Never did get above 245, till the end when I added 3/4 a chimney of fully lit blue.
But the ribs came out extra great, so I will stop b*tchin'.
Going to take it up a notch Saturday night and do 4 butts. I will use the M.M. for that and see if I have better luck with the temps..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian Staley:
I used the method from here for the B.R.I.T.U.,I started with a full chimney of blue, and dumped a full chimney of unlit on top, and added 5 chunks of wood.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is this correct? One chimney of lit and then one chimney of unlit on top? If this is true then you may not have had enough fuel. The charcoal ring should have been almost full.

Dom, I just followed what I read here....
Fire-Up The Cooker

The recipe calls for 10-15 pounds of charcoal and the smoke wood to be lit using a chimney starter about an hour before cooking. All fuel is supposed to be covered with white/gray ash before cooking begins. I deviate from the process somewhat on this point, but achieve the same end result. I fire the cooker using the Standard Method, lighting a Weber chimney full of Kingsford charcoal briquettes, dumping them into the charcoal chamber when hot, then adding another full chimney of unlit briquettes and the smoke wood chunks over the lit coals The recipe calls for 10-15 pounds of charcoal and the smoke wood to be lit using a chimney starter about an hour before cooking. All fuel is supposed to be covered with white/gray ash before cooking begins.

Since this was my first smoke and so happy to have the new grill, I guess I didn't think about not having enough.
Will be different Saturday night. I will load the thing full!!!!!!

You are correct Brian, that's what the instructions say for the BRITU ribs. However, that amount of fuel may work for an 18.5 WSM but I'm not convinced it is enough for your 22.5. I maybe wrong thou since I only have an 18.5 but to me it doesn't seem like enough since the 22.5 owners post how it takes more fuel than an 18.5. Anyway, good luck on your big cook....and load her up with unlit coals.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Back