First Shot At ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doing two butts on top grate and brisket flat on bottom. The butts totaled 17lbs (2 in cryo from Sam's, $1.02/lb) and the flat is 6.5lbs choice (from Sam's, $2.38/lb). Hope them big ol' butts on top keep that flat happy! Gonna be cold and calm tonight, no wind to mess things up. I know the butts will turn out great, just hope that brisket does too! Wish me luck!

Wayne

When I cook a flat I keep the nice layer of fat on during the cook. If you've got two butts on top of the flat then I'd go ahead and trim most of the fat off the flat. You'll get better smoke penetration and the butts above will supply all of the fat you need during the cook!

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Wayne
Sam's briskets have a nice fat cap which will help keep the brisket moist throughout your cook.

I posted some pictures here yesterday of a flat -cut that I smoked for a Christmas party. It was moist and delicious, with a nice smoke flavor. The compliments I received made me blush actually.

You want your brisket at 205 before you start slicing. After 13 hours on the WSM, I wrapped mine in foil & finished it in the oven. I had no trouble getting my temp to 205. I have done three briskets in the last two weeks, all with excellent results.

One last hint: make sure you slice it against the grain. All your hard work will be lost if you don't. Look at the side without the fat to determine which way the grain runs.

Good luck.
Peter

Wayne, I used to cook my brisket to a high internal temp like Peter, around 200. I recently tried a different approach that I learned about on this forum. The approach originated in the book by Charlie Knote, "Barbecueing and Sausage Making Secrts". Charlie talks about how fat and connective tissue begins to melt at about 160, but the meat begins to dry out at 180. On my last cook I lowered the WSM temp to 200 when the meat reached 160, and took the brisket off at 185. This was the best I have ever done. The meat was so tender and juicy that it literaly fell apart. It was sometimes hard to slice!! I also had an 8lb butt on the top grate during that cook, and it took both hands to cradle it to get it off the grill! I didn't have to "pull" the pork it shredded itself.

I may cook again next week and if I do I will definately extend the time in the "zone" (160 to 180) again. You might try it yourself.

Royce Bunnell
Drive Safely

Thanks for the tips guys. I did leave the fat cap on, didn't trim any. I cooked in the 225-250 range (measured at lid). I pulled the flat at 180 internal temp (about 10 hours), I poked it with a probe and it offered no resistance. Wrapped in foil and let sit for a while. Cut a few slices and tried it out. Pretty good, tender, moist, tasty. I think it turned out O.K.

Wayne

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wayne Sizemore:
[qb] Here's a couple of pics of the finished brisket.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Looks great Wayne! Got an extra seat at the table? /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Russ Hazzon:
[qb] <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wayne Sizemore:
[qb] Here's a couple of pics of the finished brisket.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Looks great Wayne! Got an extra seat at the table? /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yea really. I'll be down your way on New Years eve. Just leave some out on the porch /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Looks really good! What do you do with the pulled pork? Do you season it or pour some bbq sauce over it or make sanwiches . . .

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Russ Hazzon:
[qb] <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wayne Sizemore:
[qb] Here's a couple of pics of the finished brisket.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Looks great Wayne! Got an extra seat at the table? /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yeah, Wayne... I can practically smell that bbq here in Roanoke. If you ever cook more than you can eat...

Well that depends on what time I leave the shindig Wednesday night /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

It looks great though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back