First run with Digiq DX2

Mike WSM

TVWBB Member
Just had my first cool with ATC. Never going back. I love it. It was rock solid at 275 for 5 hours with spare ribs.

I guess bc it held the temp so well, these were the juiciest ribs yet. Amazing. Love it.

Just wanted to say thanks to all those that post here. I knew to set the damper to bout half, and close down the top vent to 30% or so, and it worked great.

Sorry, no pics. The savages were restless, and ribs were attacked while I was cleaning up wsm and getting electronics put away.

Mike,

Keep in mind that the DigiQ will snap to your pit set temp as long as it's within +/-5 degrees of the temp set. If you want a more accurate reading press the DOWN + PIT simultaneously to get the actual temp.

Al

Mike,

Keep in mind that the DigiQ will snap to your pit set temp as long as it's within +/-5 degrees of the temp set. If you want a more accurate reading press the DOWN + PIT simultaneously to get the actual temp.

Al
I don't believe I experience the same thing. I'm pretty sure mine by default displays the actual pit temp unless you hit +/- to make a change, but then it reverts back to actual after a few seconds. Mine is only 6 months old so perhaps there was a change. I'll have to look at this closely during the next cook to confirm.

When using it, do you get any temp spikes when taking the lid off due to the increase of air. I can run mine pretty well without an ATC but was wondering if by using one and just keeping the fire enough to support the desired temp if I could solve that problem. It is frustrating to run the smoker rock solid at 250 for three hours then only to have it jump to 280+ for just taking the lid off for less than a minute

Last edited:
I felt like with no atc, I could keep it plus or minus 15-20 degrees for a few hours, then adjustments needed to be made. You can try ramping the temp down 20 min before opening the lid.

With the atc, I honestly haven't gotten temp spikes. This thing is rock solid. Boston butts used to be a labor of love. Now it's a thing of ease. I only spend time prepping the butt. I cooked that butt at 225 for 16 hrs on one ring of coal. There was still some unlit coals n the very bottom. Best butt I've cooked yet. Can't endorse it enough.

Pus, my wife isn't so aggravated when I smoke, bc it doesn't require me to make any adjustments, and I get a good night sleep.

If you leave the WSM open, letting air rush in, the temp will spike no matter what you do. The key here is, you don't have to mess with any of the vents or settings. Just do your spitzing or whatever, close it up and walk away. The ATC will get you back to temp quicker than you could manually, all by itself. Think of your kitchen oven. Surely, the temp drops when open, then overshoots a bit as it trying to heat back up, but it quickly settles back down.

That said, I typically try not to take the lid completely off when just spritzing or checking meat temps. I just lift the front edge as needed and try to be done with what I'm doing asap. Even when adding another load of lid coals, it generally gets back on temp within a few minutes. It really works well once you get the hang of it. The trick is to just let it do it's thing, and resist the urge to mess with it.

Back