First Rancher BBQ

Don Irish

TVWBB Pro
I’ve learned so much from you all….many thanks! As the title says, first time using Rancher for BBQ. I have used it for grilling several times and found that it takes a bit longer to fire up, does not get quite as hot but lasts a long time for indirect (all vs. K).

So, given the accolades on this site, I thought that I’d give it a try for BBQ ($2.99/20# also was convincing). Got 3 BB, 2 Fatties and a dozen or so chicken wings (it is just me and a friend after all). Using Minion Method – full chamber, 12 hot coals (lit via the side-burner on the gasser – this is such a great idea) spread out, apple and hickory chunks (2/4). After 35 minutes, 200 grate, 225 top vent, shut down bottom vents to 25%.

Also got Alton Brown’s baked beans in the oven using some nice hickory smoked bacon I found down at Eastern Market (downtown Detroit area known for good meats, veggies, and there is a decent wine store as well). There is a place Gratiot Market adjacent that has several long butcher counters with tons of ribs/briskets/butts etc. First time getting them there and my first impression is that they are super fresh, very pliable compared to the cry-o-vac from COSTCO. Fresh Michigan corn….life does not suck…pics as become available.

Just had my first long Rancher cook last week with a couple butts...produced a heck of a lot of ash...way more than I thought...I used the coffee can method in the middle of the unlit briqs to start the cook...that didn't work well at all...the briqs didn't catch on fire throughout the entire stack of briqs and in the middle of the cook everything began to shut down...I had to add about 15 more briqs to get it started again...from there on out...it all went well...next time, I use the Minion method...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">produced a heck of a lot of ash </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
does this mean you have to tap the sides to move the ash off? I have used Rancher about 5 times and just don't seem to have a problem with ash. Just wondering if I am missing something.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brad H.:
the briqs didn't catch on fire throughout the entire stack of briqs </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brad, I'm not sure what you're saying here; if I had to guess I think you're saying that the briquettes you used to start your MM cooked didn't completly ash over prior to placing in the tin can? Just a guess.

I use this method exclusively and it works like a champ. Here are my steps for MM, Rancher with clay saucer smoke:

1 - I start 8 - 10 Kingsford Briquettes in my Weber Chimney. I have a chimney that I've inverted the grate in so I don't have to stack and balance them on the side to light. I use a single Weber fire cube to start the coals. I use Kingsford to start as I find it lights faster.
2 - While chimney coals are starting I place my tin can in the center of the ring, dump a layer of rancher around it, bury my wood chunks, top off with rancher. Lastly I place about 6 rancher briquettes into the bottom of the tin can so when I lift the can out it doesn't collapse on itself.
3 - Once the coals in my chimney are ready I carefully dump into the tin can and slowly remove tin can with a pair of long neck channel locks.
4 - Assemble WSM and make sure all vents are 100% open.
5 - When grate temp hits 200 I shut all my bottom vents and then tweak as needed to hit my desired grate temp.

Did you do something similar? Are you using water or another "dry" mod. Like clay saucer? How many lit coals did you start with? Where were your vents (% open) after you removed your tin can and assembled your WSM? The only thing I can think of is maybe your bottom vents were closed . . . anyone else have any ideas? Oh, I too do not have an ash problem . . . if memory serves me correctly I think I get less ash with Rancher than I do with Kingsford.

I've done 3 cooks with Rancher, each using MM. I start 12 briqs in a upside down weber chimney with one weber cube buried in the briqs. When they are almost all gray, I spead them over the unlit briqs. That has worked well for me. Might would work with 10 briqs in the hot summer temps. In cold weather might take 12-14 briqs to start.

So to recap. Rancher fired up a bit more slowly that K, but that made it much easier to stabilize the temp. Easily held 250 top vent - 225 grate for hours. I had an unexpected temp spike (300 vent, 270 grate) after 4 hours when I took some meet off, had to close bottom vents almost all the way. After only one cook, I’m a big fan of Rancher for BBQ.
Smoked wings
Rubbed and ready
Done

Photos changed to links...thanks for the message Matt.

Pics of the meat look great but.................... What about them AB beans Man? Please do tell.
icon_frown.gif

Bryan,
AB beans were good but not as good as I expected based on the reviews. About ½ way into the cook, they got a bit dry and I added 2 cups more stock. That might have affected the taste. In the future, I would definitely kick up the spices way more – but I like spicy beans.
icon_biggrin.gif

I've been using the coffee can method, half a chimney of lump, and wood chunks buried under Rancher inside the WSM. Seems that the higher heat generated by the lump gets the Rancher inside the WSM off to a good start. By the time the lump has burned out, the Rancher in the center is well lit (along with a few briquettes on top). And there's good air circulation around the hole where the lump used to be.

Luke and Bethany,
Thanks for the kind words. That was one of my better efforts. After reading lots of posts I tried foiling - did a 4 -1-.5...one rack fell apart upon moving. Last .5 was basted in sauce (Billy Bones + honey + Frank's). Quite tasty. I will definately do the foil again. Also I will definately go to downtown Detroit Eastern Mkt area - Gratiot Mkt.) to get the ribs, very fresh, there is a slaughter house down the street
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Back