First Pork Shoulder

Allyn

Doing 10 lbs Pork shoulder for the 4th would like to know how long I should smoke it and what would be the best temp range to work with ?

Allyn

Welcome to the board Allyn. Generally it is a safe bet to allow 1-1/2 hours per pound @ 250F for the pork shoulder. Good Luck!

Rolf is spot on Allyn. I have cut and paste this from another site where some of the variables are addressed:

"Pork shoulder is very forgiving and can take a wide range of heats without serious damage, so it is the perfect place to start if you want experiment with Southern style low and slow smoked meat. But butt it is utterly unpredictable. Sometimes it can be done in 1.5 hours per pound, and sometimes it takes 2 hours per pound. This is flesh, not widgets, and one hog is different than another. But there are some rules of thumb that will help you master it.

And then there is the most scary part of the cook: The Stall. The temp will rise steadily to about 150°F and slow down for a looooonnnng while as moisture moves to the surface and evaporates. It might hold between 150 and 160°F for up to 5 hours. Don't panic and don't crank the heat. Be patient. [Some wrap in foil (aka TX crutch) to beat the stall].

Because of the stall, it is hard to predict exactly how long it will take to cook. So plan on 2 hours per pound at 225° [to 250°] F, and if it finishes early, wrap it in foil and pop it in the kitchen oven at about 170°F or in a faux Cambro, which is not much more than a beer cooler."

I hope this helps. Have fun!

Back