First Pork Shoulder - Need some timing advice

G

Hi Folks,

Gonna try out the Mustard pork butt recipe from this site tonite for a party tomorrow. I've got 2 cryovac butts with a total untrimmed weight of about 12 pounds. So I'm figuring about 14-15 hours total. Some details:

> Dinner should be served tomorrow 6:30pm

> I need the pork butt off the smoker by 10:30am at the latest because I'm going to be using the smoker at that time to smoke 9 racks of ribs. And I only have 1 smoker, alas.

> I can't put the butt on the smoker after 11pm tonite.

> So, theoretically the butt should come off the smoker about 1pm, but I need it to come off by 10:30am, so that means I have to continue to cook it in a 200 degree oven for 2-3 hours and it will be ready by, say 2pm.

> But, I really want to avoid having to reheat the pork butt.

Finally, the question. Can I transfer it from Smoker to oven at 10:30am after 11.5 hours on the smoker and keep it in the oven for another 7 hours at 200? I guess I just dont know what the risks might be. Could it overcook after 19 hours at such a low heat? Or should I put it in the oven at 200 until it's 190 degress and then cut the oven off and let it sit in there unopened for 3-4 hours with no heat? Just never had to use an oven before after smoking and curious to know what the risks of cooking a butt too long at low heat might be.

I probably could have asked this in a simpler way, was just thinking it out as I was typing. Sorry about that!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Can I transfer it from Smoker to oven at 10:30am after 11.5 hours on the smoker and keep it in the oven for another 7 hours at 200? </div></BLOCKQUOTE> You don't want to do quite that. You want some rest time, 2 hours say, where there is no applied heat to the butts. <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Could it overcook after 19 hours at such a low heat? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes, it could. <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Or should I put it in the oven at 200 until it's 190 degress and then cut the oven off and let it sit in there unopened for 3-4 hours with no heat? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Put them in the oven at 250-300, wrapped in foil, till they hit your desired finish temp. Then move them to a cooler stuffed with towels to rest. Alternatively, you could cook at a higher temp so that they'd be finished at 10:30 but then you'd have a longer hold time.

Back