First pork butt was amazing!

Robbie C

I posted last week that my wife's family was coming to visit, and I needed ideas for a low maintenace low and slow.
Most of the suggestions I received were for pork butt.
I was super nervous at first, however I followed the great advice I got from this site and I came out looking like a culinary genius.
The family raved about how awesome the pulled pork was, and beleive me it was amazing.

The butt cooked for 11.5 hours and fell apart in my fingers. I barely touched my 22.5 OTS the entire time the pork was cooking.
I know that the pork butt is a very forgiving cook, but it really gave me some confidence.
I just don't know what I should try next, heck I'll probably do another pork butt
icon_biggrin.gif

C'mon Rob! Go for the GOLD!
Cook up some baby Backs or Spares!

those'll put a smile on your face!
icon_biggrin.gif

Ribs can be done fairly easy on the OTS as well. May need a little more attention and rotating cause believe it or not, the ones closer to the dome edge are in higher heat. You can fit two slabs on and still do indirect.

Lots of good rub recipes around here for them.

Glad to hear it, Robbie! I concur with the others regarding ribs as the next step. Keep up the good work!

By the way, how did you set up your OTS for such a long cook? I'll be doing a butt on one next week for the first time, and I've gotten a lot of great advice in the forums on how to configure it for optimal temps. Just curious to see what method you used.

Back