First Pork Butt Cook & Question WSM 18.5"

John C in Vegas

(I can't post pics. Sorry.)

After reading many techniques beforehand, I gave it a try yesterday. I knew the wind (12-20 mph) would test my meager skills when it came to controlling temperature, but you gotta learn somehow.

Filled the WSM with KBB and lit per the Minnion Method... temp probe attached to the top grill. I trimmed and seasoned an eight pound, bone-in butt using mustard and a rub that I had concocted from various recipes found here. With another probe in the meat, I managed to get the temp to stabilize around 137[SUP]o[/SUP] after about 45 minutes of cook time... windward vent closed; two others about a pencil-width open; and top vent open all the way.

While the WSM was keeping the grill temp pretty steady, the strong wind was definitely affecting the cook time. It took about five hours to reach what I think was the "stall" at 170o. About an hour later, it started to climb slowly and then just "stopped" at 180 for another couple of hours. I had only opened the grill twice to spray the meat with apple juice and the butt was obviously cooked and looked great, but I wanted the magical 190[SUP]o[/SUP]. I opened all the vents to raise temp, and the finally hit my mark about 45 minutes later.

By this time, we had finished supper and I didn't have time to wait for a "rest" of the meat. So, I wrapped the butt in foil tightly; surrounded it with a thick layer of towels; and stuck it in the fridge.

So, here I sit at 0430 hrs with a cooled, un-pulled butt in the fridge. Thus my question...

I realize I need to warm the roast back up to pull it. Is there any preferred method? I'm thinking a 200[SUP]o[/SUP] oven session until the internal temp reaches say 120[SUP]o[/SUP] or so. Any other ideas???

Last edited:

Back