First over night smoke in the uk

PeterSims

Attempting my first over night smoke.
Doing 2 small 1.5kg don't get bone in shoulders here unless you use a butcher. Confident doing it in the day. But as you know your starving by the time there finished or half asleep. Got as much coal as I can fit and water pan full as I can and ×3 chunks of plum wood I'll upload a before and after pick when I start it off

The first overnight can be stressful, you probably won’t sleep very well but, it will all work out.
What WSM are you using? Let us know how it all works out!

Forgot to update and have no pics . Woke about 4 am had a quick look just had to lol. Then checked again about 9 meat was sitting at 170 could not work out if I was in a stool of fire was slowing. In the end I wrapped and topped fire up. Plan was to not wrap . Wish I'd added to the fire tho when I woke. My wsm is the 14 . Definitely the top shelf was more moist but was the bigger joint . Was thinking at 4 I should have done the water bowl again but as you know not the easiest to get to in a wsm definitely not adding cold water from hose pipe in winter . Can't believe I forgot the pics .

Made a lovely dish with leftover tho. Fried onions and peppers added tomatoes and some spices like cumin and paprika 1/2 cooked the rice in stock added it all to a pot with the left over meat and finished cooking the rice .
Basically a big pot of smokey flavored meaty rice

That’s one reason I don’t use a water pan, possible damage or fantastic mess possible.
The Stall can really be a frustration, don’t Ask me how many times I’ve added grey hair whilst waiting for it to break! Do you have a remote thermometer or did you use dome temp? I really think that grate temp is the best way to know how the WSM is progressing. A couple of questions, did you fill the coal ring to virtually overflowing? How much lit coal did you start with? What was the pit temperature running (generally)?

I do have a probe yes . I know bottom shelf is about 30f lower than the top. No way I'd leave it running tho during night it's beeps if losing signal . Well is was about 270f at 4 am so shut a few vents down . Was at 225/250 for the most of the cook tho . Yes ring was as full as I could get it with wood on top. About 1/4 lit chimney on top of that with kettle hot water . Was about 8c that night but got to temp very quick.

If using water pan, I found a skinny long-necked thermos bottle can make it easier to add additional water. Something like this:

2023-11-24_15-47-10.png

I normally don't do overnight cooks. I prefer to prep all the wood, charcoal, smoker, etc.. the night before and wake up really early and smoke all day. I also run a little on the hot side and wrap to make sure I get thru the stall by around 3 PM so these larger cuts can rest in a cooler or warm oven for a couple of hours.

Back