First cook

Andy Kaminski

TVWBB Pro
This is the maiden voyage of my 18“ wsm and I’m doing a pig shoulder to dial myself in on this.
It’s a typical winter day here in the PNW. The snow just melted and it’s drizzling a bit of rain.
Might as well learn this when it‘s not all sunshine and lollipops.

I am feeding some neighbors so I had the meat on at 6:30.
The target temp is 275-300 and it was leveled out around 275.
I however started to mess with it to see if I could raise that closer to 300 and that is holding too, so I’m happy about that.

I'm running the minion on this and used an old mid sized cut coffee can to help start it.
I’m also running a Hunsaker vortex plate with no water pan and no drip tray so this butt will probably taste a bit different than one from my kettle using my SnS and water tray.

My wsm isn’t leaking any smoke so I’m glad I didn’t put a gasket on it.
The previous owner put one on the door and that works just fine so that is the only gasket I’m running.

I will say that buying accessories for this is kind of addictive.
I've put a bunch of little nicknacks on this already
I also have a wheel kit with barrel locks, a lid hinge and a hanging rack coming in.
The wife thinks I’m nuts so I think I’ll wait a bit before I get that cool looking side table and stainless door :).

Attachments

• IMG_4284.jpeg
    IMG_4284.jpeg
    260.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4285.jpeg
    IMG_4285.jpeg
    81.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4286.jpeg
    IMG_4286.jpeg
    153.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4288.jpeg
    IMG_4288.jpeg
    134.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4289.jpeg
    IMG_4289.jpeg
    219.6 KB · Views: 35
This is the maiden voyage of my 18“ wsm and I’m doing a pig shoulder to dial myself in on this.
It’s a typical winter day here in the PNW. The snow just melted and it’s drizzling a bit of rain.
Might as well learn this when it‘s not all sunshine and lollipops.

I am feeding some neighbors so I had the meat on at 6:30.
The target temp is 275-300 and it was leveled out around 275.
I however started to mess with it to see if I could raise that closer to 300 and that is holding too, so I’m happy about that.

I'm running the minion on this and used an old mid sized cut coffee can to help start it.
I’m also running a Hunsaker vortex plate with no water pan and no drip tray so this butt will probably taste a bit different than one from my kettle using my SnS and water tray.

My wsm isn’t leaking any smoke so I’m glad I didn’t put a gasket on it.
The previous owner put one on the door and that works just fine so that is the only gasket I’m running.

I will say that buying accessories for this is kind of addictive.
I've put a bunch of little nicknacks on this already
I also have a wheel kit with barrel locks, a lid hinge and a hanging rack coming in.
The wife thinks I’m nuts so I think I’ll wait a bit before I get that cool looking side table and stainless door :).
Congrats Andy. I'm not sure if CajunBandit is still operating which makes me sad. I keep checking periodically and doesn't look like the site updates too much.

Sounds like you have a good handle on it, but 275 is honestly a great temp for pork shoulder. 250 to 275 is ideal if you want more smoke flavor, but will take longer. 300 will have less smoke, but cook quicker.

I have a hanging rack and love it for chicken halves and ribs. (Tip, put a grate on top of your vortex plate in case a rib tears loose and drops.)

Yes, the dreaded malady “Gizmosis“ can rear its head when getting any new piece of equipment! Avoid too many doodads, they take away from the protein purchasing!

This was an 8.8 lb pork butt.
The temp probably averaged 285 at cooking surface and there was no wind out here.
The new River Country thermometer is easy to read and is off only about 8 or so degrees but it’s adjustable so that‘s an easy fix.
It took exactly 4 hours in this situation to reach 165.
It‘s wrapped now and the cooking surface is still holding steady.

I’m really digging my Inkbird thermometer.
It’s Wi-Fi and I can still read it if I have to go to town on an errand.
So much better than my older Bluetooth unit that I had to raise into the air if I wanted info while I was laying down in my room. It only cost about $60 and has a nice graph so I can review the cook.

For the next cook I think I will elevate the vortex plate to have easier access to the briquettes (I used Kingsford Blue).
Other than that this cook is having no isssues.

Brock I have not had any problems communicating with Cajun Bandit.
They even were prompt on returning an emailed question.

Timothy, I don’t think I will ever get over modifying my new toys.
Kinda part of the fun :).

Andy, play and modify as much as you want! It is indeed half the fun! I have modified, built contraptions for, and generally filled my back yard with more grill accoutrements than you could shake a stick at without touching something related to grilling, smoking eating or drinking! Have a great time.

Good job for cook #1.

I typically use a Firedial with no water or drip pan. I really don’t notice a flavor difference that many mention on here.

You will love the hanging rack for ribs. Since the ends of full slabs get pretty close to the fire in the 18, I hang half racks. Still lots of cooking capacity and super simple (I usually don’t bother with wrapping).

This was an 8.8 lb pork butt.
The temp probably averaged 285 at cooking surface and there was no wind out here.
The new River Country thermometer is easy to read and is off only about 8 or so degrees but it’s adjustable so that‘s an easy fix.
It took exactly 4 hours in this situation to reach 165.
It‘s wrapped now and the cooking surface is still holding steady.

I’m really digging my Inkbird thermometer.
It’s Wi-Fi and I can still read it if I have to go to town on an errand.
So much better than my older Bluetooth unit that I had to raise into the air if I wanted info while I was laying down in my room. It only cost about $60 and has a nice graph so I can review the cook.

For the next cook I think I will elevate the vortex plate to have easier access to the briquettes (I used Kingsford Blue).
Other than that this cook is having no isssues.

Brock I have not had any problems communicating with Cajun Bandit.
They even were prompt on returning an emailed question.

Timothy, I don’t think I will ever get over modifying my new toys.
Kinda part of the fun :).
Thanks, I'm happy to know they are still around.

I keep wondering about hanging racks for ribs, rolling is fine for three or even four but, there’s still a better use of space with a hanging rack.
I think it’s time to look into that!

Yeah, I can’t wait to start hanging stuff off the hanging rack I have coming in.

The pork butt I did yesterday had a great flavor from the drippings hitting that vortex thing.

I think hanging the ribs, chicken and turkey are going to change my cooks in a big way.

I mean, I saw it on the internet so it’s gotta be true right?

Yeah, I can’t wait to start hanging stuff off the hanging rack I have coming in.

The pork butt I did yesterday had a great flavor from the drippings hitting that vortex thing.

I think hanging the ribs, chicken and turkey are going to change my cooks in a big way.

I mean, I saw it on the internet so it’s gotta be true right?
I used mine before I got the vortex plate, flavor came out good then too.
I got to thinking about something after your last reply though. You mentioned wanting access to your coals. Were you running out and needing to refuel?

The WSM shouldn't run out of coals for a rib cook, though you were running at a higher temperature. My vortex sits atop my Arborfab basket(used stainless bolts and washers for it to rest on). If you were running out, some expanded metal on your coal grate might help extend your coal life.

Back