first cook tomorrow ,any advice appreciated

mike sr

Just picked up the 22.5 and have two st Louis racks for tomorrow , Im not new to smoking ribs but new to the WSM , I've got pecan chunks and kingsford blue , any advice on set-up ( minion , fuse ,weber method) greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Probably as many ways to set up as there are posters on this site. It will run a little hot since it is new and hasn't had time to gunk and seal things up so bottom vents will need to be a little more towards the closed side. I use dry foiled water pan, rib rack and Minion start. Usually just cook them without foiling since I don't want fall off the bone but if you do, may want to foil for an hour or so. Main thing to remember is that it's barbecue and not a space launch so kickback, relax and enjoy the new toy. It can almost cook by itself.

Mike,

No word have ever been spoken that say so much...

Main thing to remember is that it's barbecue and not a space launch so kickback, relax and enjoy the new toy.

Especially the ENJOY !!!

Wishing you a very delightful first smoke on your WSM !

Bob

Main thing to remember is that it's barbecue and not a space launch so kickback, relax and enjoy the new toy. It can almost cook by itself.

Once I learned this ^ my stress has gone WAY down.

I like the "snake" or "fuse" or "C" or whatever you wanna call it. I just don't need a full ring of charcoal for ribs. I light one end with a lighter cube.

Ribs are pretty forgiving. I just saw a post on here awhile ago where they were cooked HH. I prefer 250-275 over a water pan but that's me.
I'm sure whatever you do will be fine. By the way any adjustments you make to vents will take at least 20minutes to start a change.
Good Luck:)

Ribs are pretty forgiving. I just saw a post on here awhile ago where they were cooked HH. I prefer 250-275 over a water pan but that's me.
I'm sure whatever you do will be fine. By the way any adjustments you make to vents will take at least 20minutes to start a change.
Good Luck:)

The highlighted above is really important. My first time I was changing things so often that I never gave the unit enough time to adjust. If you change something force yourself not to even look at temp for 20 min.

Back