First cook on Performer

Matt Grabill

TVWBB Fan
My new Performer Platinum arrived Saturday morning and I promptly got it assembled with no troubles at all.Very nice quality,although the lid had some imperfections in the finish.Weber is sending me another.Didn't have much time this weekend to try it out(AAU basketball tourney) but managed to fire up a couple NY strips last evening.
IMAG0060_zpsk5szggbh.jpg

Used both charcoal holders(KBB Comp from Costco sale) and lit with gas assist,nice feature.Guess proper positioning is important because I only got 1 lit ! Does everyone use these to cook or to just light coals and then spread them out? Overall very pleased with first attempt and looking forward to many more cooks.Oh,and that side table is a fabulous beer holder !!
Finished product including baby portabellos,side salad,and several Victory Dirt Wolf double IPA's(8.7% !!)
IMAG0062_zps0bhpdtpa.jpg

One last question,what is the rule of thumb as far as lid on/off during cooking ?
Thanks for looking
Matt

Used both charcoal holders(KBB Comp from Costco sale) and lit with gas assist,nice feature.Guess proper positioning is important because I only got 1 lit ! Does everyone use these to cook or to just light coals and then spread them out?

One last question,what is the rule of thumb as far as lid on/off during cooking ?
Thanks for looking
Matt

Beautiful plate Matt! Steak looks just perfect.

The gas assist is only for lighting your charcoal. You can try centering both holders over the flame or just swap their places after 5 minutes or so.

Jak would tell you to keep the lid on! That generally works best for me too. I like to sear steaks over a very high heat two zone grill and move them to the cooler side to finish. Often I'll leave the lid agar while searing to keep the temp up very high.

Thanks Pete. Maybe I should have worded different.I used the gas just to light the 2 baskets of coals.What I meant was do you keep the coals in the baskets or dump and spread them out?

I keep the coals in the basket. If I am using my sear great I will center both baskets under the grate, then sear whatever I am doing, then move the food to the sides. Otherwise I put a basket on each side, put a small foil pan between them and cook over the pan indirect. Weber's little foil pans work great for this but they sell all different sizes depending on what you are cooking. It makes less of a mess in the grill.

Also to light the baskets I rotate them a couple of times just to get an even light on the coals. If you look at the way the flames come from the tubes, you can see you have to position them just right

Nice color on that grill!

Last edited:
Thanks Rick,I'll try that rotate on the next cook and spread the baskets apart for a cool zone in center.Appreciate the input.

Thanks Tim,love the color too.Was originally gonna get a OTG in Copper and this is what I end up with.Now I'm rescuing 29 yr old CGA'S off CL and loving it !! Hope I can control my problem

Matt good looking grill. And cook. Congtrats on your new performer.
Matt I noticed this weekend on windy days the the flame will push from one side our the other aand it only lit one of my baskets.
Need to adjust your your grill to the wind.
Kevin

Nice grill!!!
Great advice given so far.
Try lid on and off see what you like best. For me most of the time is lid off due to high heat cooks. But if I'm doing chicken and indirect cooking it's lid on.

Nice Copper! I use gas assist with the basket. Just put both over the flame for 5 minutes turn gas off and wait another 15-20 minutes. Either move them to the sides for indirect or keep them in the middle for direct...

I have the OTG. I'm not familiar with the gas assist. But, I usually light a chimney and pour it in the baskets. Could you use the gas assist to light the chimney?

I always cook with the lid down. And, when I use the baskets, I keep the coals in the basket and usually place them on the sides and put a piece of foil on the grate between the baskets to help catch drippings. The meat stays indirect the whole time. You can get some very results like this. For years, I only cooked with this setup. I would flip the meat every 15 until temp. I still cook like that. But, I've added other techniques.

Back