First cook on OTG

JessicaB

TVWBB Member
First cook on my new-to-me OTG. Slow cooked and first time I brined chicken. Amazing! I expected company but they didn't show so I have extra. I cannot believe how good this tasted in spite of trying to keep a consistent temp.
14370914638_1241f49fef.jpg

I hope the pic works.
I learned about brining and how to cook thighs on this site. :)

Last edited:
Excellent bird Jessica! No Guest.. More for you!

JfXr4hEBGfhHlpIEW3fH1dHiiNZsQqxHivQJSbstJ6k

A simple brine I like is 4 cups of water to 2 tablespoons each of kosher salt and white sugar...
it does wonders!
Again, welcome home!

Looks great! Make sure when you add a pic to your post it has the thingy on either side. With picassa I copy image url. Not sure what it'll be with dropbox. Way to go on the cook![/QUOTE]
In preview img tags wouldn't display the pic, it was weird. I'll try again next cook. :) I was pleased with the look. I actually skipped the potatoes and just ate a few bites of salad and hammered down 3 thighs. I should be embarrassed but I'm not. I've never had a better thigh cooked at home and they sure weren't this good on my old char-griller smoker/grill. I'm super excited.
[QUOTE="Jim Lampe, post: 580201, member: 1382"]Excellent bird Jessica! No Guest.. More for you!

[IMG]https://photos-3.dropbox.com/t/0/AACgO2K0Jp-jgN5t_I6Q7ytLdJXtusCikF6yapUk74Ut0A/12/34856/jpeg/1024x768/3/1404093600/0/2/Photo%20Jun%2029%2C%206%2041%2013%20PM.jpg/JfXr4hEBGfhHlpIEW3fH1dHiiNZsQqxHivQJSbstJ6k

A simple brine I like is 4 cups of water to 2 tablespoons each of kosher salt and white sugar...
it does wonders!
Again, welcome home!
Thank you! I'm already in love with this grill.
For the brine, I did a quart of water, 1/4 cup kosher salt, 1/4 cup brown sugar. I'll cut that salt slightly next time I think. I did get some more salt from my rub. It was wonderful though. Not to brag.

JessicaB;

I did Jerk Chicken Wings indirect on my re-cycled Performer the other night. Chicken hardly gets any better than that (and I'm talking about yours, also). I almost think Weber's are magical. Once you learn to control the temps, you can do wonders on these things.

I ALWAYS brine chicken. It makes a tremendous difference in moisture and flavor.

Good show!

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Nicely done Jessica. I'm a former char-griller owner too, it was fine but after using the kettle I'm hooked.

Nice job !
Smoke-roasted chicken on a Weber kettle is unbeatable.

I like to grab a couple of whole chickens when they go on for .99 lb, which is fairly often around here.
Love chicken over charcoal !
And making soup from a smoke-roasted chicken carcass adds a new level of flavors.

Drop Box uses some funny code.
I use Tiny Pic for image hosting.

Last edited:
Hey thanks all. Perhaps a quick question…I have chicken wings in the freezer that I can thaw almost all of the way in about 24 hours. Can I brine when they're more or less 80% thawed or does brine only work on fully thawed meat?

I reheated the other two thighs for lunch. So much flavor. I figured it would be a disappointment after last night but I was wrong. I am brining the other 3 instead of freezing them as originally planned for tonight's dinner.

Back