First cook on my WSM 18.5

JoeE

I used my new WSM 18.5 this past weekend and I am amazed by how easy it was. I had an offset for many years and went to this smoker when that one rusted through the bottom from sitting out in the weather for many years, totally my fault for not covering it but it leaded me to this site and my new WSM. I learned a couple of things from this smoker after reading from the posts here and I learned a lot from using it for the first time that I will need to change in my cooking, like fuel type. I make ribs all the time for many years and I changed nothing about the cook except for the hardware used to smoke them. Below are some pictures.

To me it looks as though your talents transfered over to the WSM very well.
Those ribs look excellant and a nice smoke ring also.
Now that you have completed a cook what are likes or dislikes between the two cookers?

Kevin, I like the way the temp in the bullet is pretty much self regulating. In the offset, even after mods, there was always stoking the fire to get the temp up. The Weber is so easy, almost set it and forget it.

I only used three chunks of hickory and some bourbon barrel oak chips on the fuel that I put on when I placed the hot coals in the center.

All in all, I love my new smoker and next I am doing a brisket and I may smoke some 2-row malt for a rousch style beer I'll be brewing in a couple weeks.

Those ribs look great, man! What are the things that you would change now that you've got a cook under your belt? I just picked up a WSM so looking to learn asuch as possible from the mistakes of others.

Back