First Brisket Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirk J

TVWBB Member
OK, No one may read this before I start in the morning, but I'll ask anyway. I'm going to start my first Brisket at around 4 - 5 am. I ended up with a 10 pounder, that seems to have a larger than average point. The flat is pretty uniform, about 2 inches. With such a large point I'm very nervous about a dry flat. I'm probably over anal about this, but I've read every post I can find, and it seems this is a common problem. So.....it seems the thing to do is just take it off when the flat is done, seperate the falt and point and put the point back on.....is this the thing to do? I already trimmed it and tried to leave a little extra fat on the flat (hehe, my trimming skills nead a little practice). Anyway, any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Kirk

Hey Kirk,
You are right.Pull the flat when it's done,seperate the flat,and finish the point.Sometimes when I notice the point is alot larger, I won't trim the flat at all and cut as much fat out of the point end as possible to try to even the brisket up as much as possible.
Hope this helps,
Willy T.

I have had good luck separating the point from the flat before smoking. I don't always do this...but the few times I have...they turned out good.

I cook whole and pull when the flats done, I almost never need to put the point back on, but if I do it goes back on. I would rather use the fat from the point to help keep the flat moist.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back