First beef ribs with pics

Dan Bond

TVWBB Member
This was my first attempt at beef ribs and they turned out great. The smoke went like this, the night before I prepared the ribs by removing the membrane and rubbed with Dizzy Pigs Swamp Venom. Wrapped the ribs up in plastic wrap and into the frig. I planned on a seven hour smoke so I started around 9:00am to get the smoker up to temp. After about an hour the smoker was ready. I used two chimneys full of Kingsford charcoal and two baseball size chunks of cherry wood. In the WSM I used the lower rack due to the size of the ribs. The temp never went over 230* and was held at 225 most of the smoke. I turned after 3.5 hours and sprayed down with apple juice. Then again turned baste at 5.15 hours. I keeped spliting the time until the end of the cook. After the 6.5 hour mark I checked for doneness by pulling on the ribs and decided it was time for the BBQ sauce. I went with a new brand here in Chicago called El Gringo Loco Sweat and Spicy Chipotle Honey Barbeque Glaze. The ribs turned out great, tender, and juicy. I will have a real hard time when I need to decide what kind of ribs to BBQ because these were great.
68anir.jpg

68swvn.jpg

Those look great Dan!! I've never done beef ribs before, for some reason they are hard to find around the Detroit area. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled, of course, at that size they'd be hard to miss. Good job!

Man, oh man that looks good! They have beef ribs like that at the buchers near my place. Looks like my next burn will be beef ribs!!

Bruce if you want some beef ribs. Theres a butcher shop in Richmond that might be able to help you out. Or try the smokehouse just outside of Imlay City a couple miles north of there. Last you could also try Eastern Market on the weekends. Get yourself a cooler with wheels and handle and load up some good meat there. Think all them places are with at least an hour driving time of ya. A butcher shop in Yale fills my needs but I usually have to place my order on the first of the week. If enjoy a drive you can also take home some Yale Bologna on that trip. Hope this helps ya out.

These ribs were purchased in the store called Food for Less. They have fresh and craovac (sp)The later have 3 slabs per package. I would have gotten those, but I need bigger food saver bags for that!

Very timely post! I picked up 4 racks of beef ribs to try this weekend. They aren't the monsters you had though! Funny enough, I picked up some cherry chunks to try out with them as well. You read my mind it seems. Hopefully mine will turn out as nice as yours.... Thanks for the timing info, I was thinking about 5-6 hours but they may need more.

Can you describe the taste of them? Texture? Fat content? I've only had beef ribs a few times and they always seemed fatty. The pictures look great. Maybe the low and slow WSM helped render out the fat.

Also, how did they compare cost wise to spares?

Q-on!!

AR

Here's a visual for you, the ribs taste and testure is a lot like brisket and maybe I got lucky there was little fat. No more then you would find on spares. The hardest part was removing the membrane. The cost was less then 2 dollars a lb. I was telling my good friend Micky T from the big green egg site that I may never smoke spares again.
68wheg.jpg

Man those look great!

And I was wondering what to smoke this weekend...

If mine look half as good as yours I will be stoked!

Anton

ya these type of bones got a heck of lot more meat then spares.....nicely done! they look great... i find that cherry wood goes very well with these ribs....

good job

Back