first babybacks

Mike from Iowa

I will be smoking my first racks of babybacks on my 18.5. I will be using the 2-2-1 method and I was wondering how much KB I should put in the smoker. Were looking at 35 degree temps and winds of 10-15 here in northwest Iowa today. I know I could fill the chacoal ring full but would hate to not get it shut down tight enough to put the coals out and burnup coals needlessly. I will be using the MM method also

Although we have milder temps here, last time I cooked ribs using 1/2 full ring of coals with 1/3 chimney of lit coals my temp lasted much longer than I needed at 275. Also everytime I've wrapped for 2 hrs they have been overdone(babybacks or st louis'). Might want to open and check them after 1 hr in the foil. Hope you have a great cook.

I typically fill the ring,leaving the center open for the lit KB. I bury a 3 fist size chunks of wood, usually apple in the ring of fuel. I also have moved away from foiling my ribs until they are done and resting. I smoke them at 240 for about 3 hours before opening the WSM. I then give the a spritz of apple juice and a quick visual check. Then they cook for about another 1 1/2 hours. Next if I think they are about done I apply a thin coating of BBQ sauce. When I pull them I foil them to rest for about 30 minutes.
Regardless I am sure they will be good. Have fun and enjoy.

Mike

Back