First attempt at beef back ribs tomorrow...wish me luck...any tips appreciated!

(and yes, i've read Chris' beef rib article)...

found some really meaty suckers locally...they only have them periodically and these were marked down...4.5 lbs were $9.81....

Jake, try soaking them in black coffee and Stubb's beef marinade overnight.
add nothing else then cook them indirect at 250 to 275ºF for approximately 4 to 5 hours.
your near 5 lbs of beef will cook wonderful at these temps.
nothing else to do butt sit back and enjoy the aroma and, perhaps, a fine glass of bourbon, gin, or... sometimes, MILK.

You will notice MAJOR meat shrinkage as the meat cooks... please do not panic.
Believe me, you will l♥ve the final product and look for more!
Good luck & please post photos!

Last edited:
Do you mean to rub the ribs down with coffee grounds or ya mean cold black coffee from the coffee maker?? If so, would ya say 50/50 coffee/Stubbs??

I have never done good beef ribs so I would like to get this right.............

Jim,

Thanks a bunch for your suggestions...Will let you know how they turn out, and will try to post photos of the goodies.

I rubbed them down last night before seeing your post, so I didn't get the coffee and stubbs on them this time, but will try it next time I find a nice set of them.

Oh and Jim...while I enjoy a bourbon (neat) and a gin (w/tonic) from time to time, this is a dry cook (well, maybe a beer) as I will be working from home during the day with the cooker in full view from my office in the basement...

...this is a dry cook (well, maybe a beer) as I will be working from home during the day with the cooker in full view from my office in the basement...
Good luck with that ;)

beefribs2.jpg

beefrib1.jpg

beefribsON.jpg

beefribfoil.jpg

Okay folks...finally figured out the photo thing...well, partially. Sorry they are so large!

Anyway, foiled after about 3 hrs (closer to 3.5 hrs)...foiled with Shiner Black Lager - in true Texas fashion since I'm doing beef. thanks for looking!

Thanks for the compliments guys. The ribs were awesome. Very, very rich and flavorful. One note, next time, I am going to work a little harder at getting ALL of the membrane off. It's so much more difficult to do on beef ribs than for pork. Also, I'll go a little lighter (and simpler) on the rub - the beef just doesn't need much at all because of it's own flavors...really deep and rich.

Thanks for looking!

Excellent looking ribs Jacob! EXCELLENT!!

You may want to try simple salt and pepper next time... like you say, "beef just doesn't need much at all"

Wow. Those are the best looking beef ribs I've ever seen. How many hours? I'm thinking simple spicing too...maybe Montreal Steak Spice, nothing else.

Gary...they were on about six hrs. used a modified 3-2-1 method. I would suggest a pretty simple rub...even salt, pepper and nothing else. Though montreal steak would probably be nice too.

Thanks for the tips and the pics of the great-looking ribs. I picked some up over the weekend and plan on smoking them sometime this week. I'm curious about how seasonal beef ribs seem to be. Most of the year, I don't see them in any of the stores where I go to look for things to smoke. Lately, they've been plentiful and fairly inexpensive in all of them. Is this a BBQ/Grilling season kind of thing, where they need to get rid of beef ribs because they are selling so many steaks for grilling?

Back