First 3 BBQ Smokes in New WSM GREAT!!!!

Rob L

TVWBB Member
I have had three smokes so far...
1... Ribs rubbed in celery salt, paprika and garlic powder, mopped in apple juice.... Man were they to die for... First smoke too... 6 hours.

2 Smoke was for a huge BBQ party we had... On top I made the ribs again, 4.5 racks and in the lower half I made chicken pieces in the same rub.... EVERYONE couldn't believe I made that food... We had chefs at our party and they said that was the best chicken they've ever had. 3 hours for the chicken.
3. Today I made a pork butt (picnic)... Used a mustard slater and a rub similar to what I mentioned above... It was 7.5 lbs... and took from 8 AM to 9 PM... that seems kind of long doesn't it... Paul Kirk says 2 hours per lb, so I'm not off according to his book... However, the butt came out soooooooo tender... the mustard slather was awesome.... really helped the rub stay in place and made things moist. I did have to mop with apple juice.

Paul Kirk was one of the first authors I read. I liked his ideas. I scrapped the mustard slather though. I favor worsteshire sauce now. Just enough to give the meat a glaze and help the rub stick.

Make sure you read the fine sections of the main site, not just the bb. Chris has posted many, many good tips and lessons for all.

AR

Congratulations Rob, sounds like you've got the learner's curve mastered. As far as the pork butt, it actually sounds a little quick to me, but they are all different.

One of the most famous lines in BBQ is, "It's done when it's done."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rob Lyons:
It was 7.5 lbs... and took from 8 AM to 9 PM... that seems kind of long doesn't it... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, that seems kind of long, if it is 9 PM the NEXT day. My butts usually take 15-20 hours. I run about 215-220 for the first 12-15 hours and then run it up to 235-240 if I need to be in a hurry.

Rob, I'm really glad that your cooks have worked out so well for you. Good Q'ing!

Back