Fire snuffing out.with lid on

JerryP

I have an old performer I bought at an auction. I had to replace the bottom bowl because it was to far gone to save. I was able to save the ash sweep and ash catcher off the old bowl. Now every time I close the lid, even with both vents wide open, the coals tend to snuff out. Once I take the lid off the coals start to glow again. Any ideas to remedy this would be appreciated.

When you installed the sweeper, did it seem to line up properly. When you were ready to light the charcoal, did you manually check if the sweeper showed open by sight? The only two reason's I can think of for this are the top and bottom vents.
Just a thought, Were all the coals ashed over before you closed the lid and how much coal were you using? Just a thought.

I did check that the vents were visually open on the bottom. Seems to be lined up ok. I did notice upon further inspection that the cruddy old charcoal grate allows the smaller pieces of lump to fall to the bottom of the bowl right over the vent slots. I should probably try getting a new grate.

Do the double grate mod. I use lump and that's what I did on the OTG to keep the pcs from falling thru.

Tim

I use the double grate as well in both my WSM's AND my kettles. It DEFINATELY helps keeping the smaller chunks from falling thru.

Drink a little drink, Smoke a little smoke :wsm:

I'd think that you would have to have an awful lot of small chunks falling through to block all 3 vents. Is you top vent open or closed ?

Back