Fire at Franklin Barbecue

I bet the firefighters are rewarded with a nice big meal before long.

That looks different than I expected, that was the 2nd floor of the cook house???? doesn't look how I remember from watching Franklin BBQ on PBS.

http://www.pbs.org/food/shows/bbq-with-franklin/

I wonder what the cause was - grease or misplaced ember.......

That looks different than I expected, that was the 2nd floor of the cook house???? doesn't look how I remember from watching Franklin BBQ on PBS.
I think it's a view seldom seen on tv shows, etc.
IMG_9592.JPG.1503751423.jpg

http://www.statesman.com/news/local...ive-franklin-barbecue/14I2OVAjBMr7tfk2CFNtcJ/

The smokehouse, where the fire originated after what Franklin suspects was an errant ember that escaped the smoke box, was almost completely destroyed, though the pits themselves were not damaged. Part of the roof had caved in, and the walk-in coolers suffered serious damage. An employee cooking ribs first noticed the fire and called 911, Franklin said.

“Damage is certainly worse than I thought it was going to be,” Franklin said following a walk-thru with the Austin Fire Department. “We deal with fire everyday. It was inevitable someday something was going to be a problem. I just hope we can get it back together.”

The fire was contained to the room that houses the smokers, however, so the restaurant’s kitchen and dining room only suffered smoke damage.

“There was not as much property loss as most restaurants would have,” Franklin said.

Franklin said he assumes the entire frame of the smokehouse will have to be torn down and rebuilt.

“I kind of had a gameplan to get us back open, but going inside kind of crushed that,” Franklin.

Franklin said he still hopes they will be able to reopen in a few weeks, but they will have to wait for the rain to cease before a full analysis can be done.

“It’s odd for me to not be cheerful,” Franklin said in between some laughs and levity. “I got some thoughts going on for sure. I’m not so upset about what’s already happened; I am more looking toward what we’re going to do going forward.”

Last edited:
Of course sorry to hear about the fire, but I couldn't help wondering how people would even notice "smoke damage" in the dining room. In a real BBQ restaurant that's called "ambiance".

It's completely different now. During the time of those videos, the pits were outside behind the restaurant under individual shed structures. Then Franklin built this new semi-enclosed smokehouse a few years ago, consolidating all the pits into one room, and that's the structure that caught on fire.

Old setup:

RHVRKqe.jpg

vJw8ysV.jpg

New setup:

aP4mJ1x.jpg

CUEZoLl.jpg

VxJdtaG.jpg

When I went they still had the trailers out back and were in the process of building the pit enclosure. All it probably takes is one errant ember.

I am truly sorry to hear of Franklin's fire. I was an Insurance Claim Rep for thirty plus years and a fire can really disrupt people's lives, big time!

Franklin might want to explore the idea of a concrete block structure (essentially, a fire proof structure for the smoke house). Wood construction + fire, not a particularly good idea).

Here's hopin' that they get up and running in a reasonable length of time!

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Back