Fat Johnny's Piedmont Sauce Question

Alan Bosch

TVWBB Fan
Over the next few weeks, I'm smoking several butts for pork sammies - b'day party, work event, and the like. The Fat Johnny's sauce Keri C posted a long while back is just the thing to serve with the pork, but I kinda want to make it my own. My goal is to make the sauce as appealing as possible to as many people as possible. I know, for instance, the birthday party is going to have a many youngsters and several adults that don't go for the heat the red pepper flakes impart to the sauce.

So my question is this: Cut down on the red pepper, or perhaps sub an equal amount of ground Ancho or Aleppo. I have both, just not a lot of time to experiment.

Thanks for the help.

Alan
"Vegetables aren't food! Vegetables are what food eats."

If you want less heat you'd have to cut back both the crushed red and the chipotle. Consider subbing 2 t Aleppo and 1 t ancho for the crushed red, and, if available, 2 t smoked paprika for 2 t of the chipotle, or replace the chipotle entirely with smoked paprika. If smoked pap isn't at hand, I'd go with the same sub for the crushed and sub ancho for the chipotle. Not quite sure what the point of the mustard is but since it's flavor development is being arrested nearly immediately its heat shouldn't be an issue.

Back