Extra meat probes

I am looking for the low level driver package that I do not have. (i2c-bcm2708). I saw a package that I did not see before, so I thought I was seeing the package I needed to enable i2c on the bcm2708 hardware.

This is my first time through all of this, so I will keep working on it and will keep posting my progress to help others on the learning curve.

I hope there are some other folks out there that can help with he software because I am not a programmer by trade. I said I was over my head on my second or third post on this thread, but it is funny to look back and see how much I learned in a couple of weeks by trying something new.

BTW...
I did my first HM cook today, and it looks like I captured a probe going bad. In the past couple of years, my stock of 10 CDN probes have all went wonky. I had profiled my last two probes along with the thermocouple the other day and they were ok at 212. The thermocouple on the HM was within 10 degrees of the handheald thermocouple reader at 650 degrees.

Cook log is on this forum at: http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?42779-Post-your-HeaterMeter-graphs&p=592535&viewfull=1#post592535

The short story... I used 2 probes, one for the pit and one for meat... the meat probe was in one of the hens, and after two hours it was saying 185, so I pulled the hens and found that the legs and quarters were crispy little critters - not edible at all. This is the first time I smoked chicken with chicken smoke and the last time I will put small meats like that near the bottom.

The meat probe must have been going bad because I moved it to the pork loin when I took out the hens, and it did not act right. I had to reboot the HM to see if it would recover, and shortly after it was saying the pork loin was over 600 degrees.

Not very confident on the remaining probe and I rely on that one for pit temperature control, so I will be researching and buying some new probes for the next cook.

Last edited:
Spent the week trying to learn how to build packages, and *think* I may have succeeded, but alas, it seems the packages are at the wrong level and will not install.

Installing kmod-i2c-bcm2708 (3.10.49-1) to root...

Collected errors:
* satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for kmod-i2c-bcm2708:
* kernel (= 3.10.49-1-e3baed80966e89bf57bc8799f378af09) *
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package kmod-i2c-bcm2708.

The kernel on the HM is 3.3.8-1, and it the package I have is at 3.10.49-1 (?)

Last edited:
'make' incomplete

Looks like you're building Barrier Breaker (trunk) and not Attitude Adjustment.

OK, so i have been doing a lot of traveling the past few weeks with limited access to my system with virtualbox and the VM that I am using for this part of the project, but was re-united over the weekend and tried a build using hotel wifi.

I deleted everything in ~/openwrt and started from scratch using the instructions in the wiki for building from source.

Things seemed ok up to the point of the actual 'make' command, and it seems I have been bounced out of the process because the scripts cannot resolve an ip address.

Here is a screen shot showing the steps in the process (several hours into the make)
Edit: image deleted... it was a screenshot showing a broken pipe trying to download the "hotplug" module for USB.

After seeing the error, I tried pinging the site manually, and could not ping svn.nomi.cz from my Debian build system or my Windows host.

Does this 'make' process work better on a particular day of the week or particular time of day ? Any suggestions ?

Last edited:
Some progress:
Was able to complete the build by unselecting hotplug from the make menuconfig menu.
I selected a couple of the Python versions as well because I will need Python to run the scripts to collect temps form the I2C-ADC chip.
I was able to complete the 'make V=s' (to see details) and completed the build at v3.3.8-1.

The Python-mini 2.7.3-2 installed Ok, but the sample scripts that I have for i2c-adc require python v3.

Here is the command I used to install the i2c package that I recently built:
opkg install kmod-i2c-core_3.3.8-1_brcm2708.ipk --force-depends

The kmod-i2c-core.ipk module says it requires kernel v 3.3.8-1 (I am running v3.3.8)
'uname -am' shows I am running a v3.3.8 kernel and these modules are v3.3.8-1.

I was thinking of trying to use the flash image (that would have the v3.3.8.-1 kernel(?)) but I know I am missing some of the USB support drivers because that mirror site is still down. (svn.nomi.cz)

Does anyone know if the USB Wifi adapter and keyboard still work if the "hotplug" modules are not in my build ?
Out of ideas for now. Anyone have any suggestions ?

Thanks

Back