ET-73

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Fischer

TVWBB Member
I think the smoker probe on my ET-73 failed on its first use yesterday. It now gives smoker readings that oscillate between 234 and 241 at room temperature. I did a boiling water test using the food probe and it still works fine (indicates 211 degrees F), so I'm pretty sure that the problem is with the smoker probe. It states in the owners manual that Redi Check replaces the probes at no cost so I will give them a call. I noticed sometime during the cook that the ET-73 readings began to deviate more from the lid gauge thermometer but because the readings weren't that high I thought that maybe I was seeing the difference between grate temp and lid temp.

Yep, it's shot. Give them a call and they'll send you a new one, n/c.

When you checked the other probe in boiling water, did you have it "waterproofed"? Remember that they are not meant to be submersed. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Thanks for confirming my thoughts. I saw the notice in the manual to not immerse. I had the tip of the probe in the water long enough for the reading to stabilize. I figured it had to be robust enough to handle juicy cuts of meat. It's fine.

The no immersion warning means do not let water enter the probe where the cable inserts into it. Anywhere up to that point is no problem.

I don't have the ET-73's, but have used, and fried several Accu-rite probes, which are similar. Manifests itself as much higher than normal temps when read at room temp. Guy at BBQsGalore told me it will happen over time, but if you pinch the cord tightly between 2 pieces of metal (lid and body, door and body) the insulation doesn't work well and the probe will fail. Not sure if it's true, but I haven't pinched a probe since and haven't had a problem since then.

Chris II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back