Elderberry wood for smoking ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Marco

TVWBB Fan
Howdy folks...

I got a hold on quite a lot of elderberry wood , and i?ve been told it would be good for cold smoking fish.
I?ve never cold smoked a fish so far ( and i dont want to in the future...), so hows this wood for BBQ ?
Guess i cant tell ya before christmas because the wood needs to dry, so give me something to long for /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Thanx,

Don Marco

Thats a good question. I have an overgrown elderberry bush/small tree that need serious pruning, but I never thought of using the wood for smoking. I can't see anything wrong with using it as smoke wood, unless someone tells us that it gives off a noxious odor.

Well, I can't find anything about using it as a smoke wood.

(The berries are used for pies, jam and wine. The flowers can improve the complexion and sooth/heal burns. The juice of the berries is good for sore throats, asthma, and bronchitis. Raw berries are a laxative, but the seeds are toxic. The leaves are used for tea. The berries and leaves are high in vitamin C.)

Burn some and check how the smoke smells. If it's not bitter, I'd give it a try.

Guys, your reminding me of Monty Python. Somthing about someones family history involving elberberry wine and hamsters /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif . I would be intrested in knowing how it works. If the seeds are toxic would it be wise not to include seeds in the smoke?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back