Dual Griddle on the Q320?

Scott C.

TVWBB Super Fan
Dual Griddles on the Q320?

In reading some past posts, I've heard a few folks mention that you can only run one griddle as there is a tab or something that prevents it's use on the right side.

I'm wondering if that tab was ground off, would that allow the ability to use the griddle on the right, and ultimately, use two on both sides together?

Has anyone tried this?. If figured I'd ask before ordering up two of these.

Please advise.

Last edited:
Never thought about that--- wouldn't a large cast iron griddle work just as well if you need more space to cook on??

The one for my Genesis also has that tab. I've always wondered what the effect of blocking the airflow with 2 griddles would be, and figured Weber put the tab there for a reason. I thought it could potentially trap un-burned propane under the griddles and cause some havoc, but I have never called Weber to ask.

Yeah, that's all what I'm trying to figure out. My old Grill to Go had a full griddle which was very helpful when trying to cook up breakfast for a bunch of people at the same time.

I already have a large Texport cast iron grill but it's too big. Sticks out both ends and interfers with the lid closing. I'm sure that the diminished airflow would require you use a lower gas flow, perhaps even require just using the inner alone, but I think it should work without damaging the grill.

Just wondering if anyone else has given this a whirl.

Last edited:
Well, I guess I'm going to be the one to blaze this trail. With the 20% coupon from Bed, Bath and Beyond, I got them for $38 each. We will see how this works.

I'm envisioning that once I grind off the tab and reseason that portion, they will both slide in fine. Then I'll use a infrared themometer and check the griddle temp at various heat settings. I'm thinking to use both burners to pre-heat and probably shut-off the outside ring once ideal ~375 is reached. As long as I don't over heat it, I think it'll work fine.

I'll report back.

Well, One grate received so far. Fits perfectly on both sides of the Q320, so no issues there. I can see the two tabs folks have been talking about, and I think those can be ground off pretty easily to allow the second griddle to fit side by side. The second griddle is supposed to be here on Friday, so looking good so far.

For what its worth, I ground the tabs off both griddles, put a couple of nice coats of seasoning and it works great. However, for anyone who wants to try this, be aware the left side runs a bit hotter. Also without a load, using just the outside burner on low, surface temp averages around 375 with the lid open, so you can easily overheat the grill. I'd recommend using an infrared thermo until you get used to maintaining the desired temp. I hope this helps.

Your results tell me Weber made these griddles this way because they felt someone could get in to real trouble. Let's face it. The average user who pulls this stunt is going to cause themselves or the grill harm and try to sue Weber

No doubt about that. The little pamplet that comes with the griddles specifically states not to use the griddle on the right side as upon inspection, there are more burner tube holes near the intersection of the inner and outter burners to help with lighting.

That said, I help cook for a kids group with camping weekends, so lugging another purpose made griddle wasn't in the cards. Adapting this to work was a bigger priority for me than most others. Like I said, if you want to run this set up, I highly recommend getting a cheap infrared thermo to make sure you keep the griddles around no more than 400max. 375 is typically ideal for most griddle cooking, so an unloaded temp of 400 is a good start. The grill should be able to handle that. I did multiple rounds of seasoning, with runs of over an hour or two each, so I had plenty of time to check temps with different settings and get a good feel. With the lid closed, the lid thermo would only say around 300 while the griddle could be around 400. So you cannot rely on that. Again, I wouldn't recommend it without having an infrared thermo and keeping close tabs on the griddle temps.

Another issue you did not think of is how hot are things UNDER that griddle?! That grill body (or the firebox if you will) could be getting into dangerous territory and you would never know it until it was too late. I have to come down on the side of saying do not do this no matter what kind of thermo you have. The griddle temp and the hood temp may not (and I bet they don't) give a true indication of the thermal stresses underneath it. Or what changes could be happening to the gas mixture to amount of air and so on. I am no engineer (though I play one on TV) but I have to come out and say this mod has danger written all over it IMO. Just certain things you should not do in life i.e. tug on Superman's cape, pee into the wind (unless you need a shower) or pull on the mask of the lone ranger :)

Again, I agree with you, and highly suggest YOU do not do this mod, nor anyone else similarly opinioned. It's definitely not for everyone, especially for those looking for a light & forget setup, which I've stated this is not.

That said, the grill shell can handle well over 500 degrees, and perhaps close to 600 safely. You are wrong in that I did take readings of the upper and lower box in various spots, which with a griddle temp of 400 degrees was closer to ~330 at it's hottest. I already stated the upper barely got to 300 when closed. As a matter of fact, after completing the various rounds of seasoning over two days, there was still liquid canola oil on the lower box that I wiped down with paper towels, which would have hardened immediately with any excessive surface temp well over 400. For the open lid operation I plan, my tests have shown it works fine with careful attention to the burner settings. You simply just cannot expect to put both burners on high, close the lid, and walk away. I think I've already adequately shared that? I appreciate your warnings, but think I got a good handle on it.

Wasn't you or me I was worried about. First me because I really don't have any use for a griddle on my grill. But than again my idea of "roughing it" is opening the windows :D And you because you apparently are willing to take the risks or at least have a handle on how to work with them. What concerns me is stuff like this shows up in bits and pieces on Google and such. Than some goofball with too much airspace between their brain and skull will try this because they saw bits and pieces, and burn down their deck or house or hurt themselves and or grill and than hire a 2 bit attorney and well..................................................you can guess the rest.

Here's a pic fwiw. As discussed, proceed at your own peril...

Q320DoubleGriddle_zps3a06aabf.jpg

Cooking with the lid open at all times should be okay and safe imho. No need to close the lid if cooking breakfast.

Well, just got back from the camp out and it worked flawlessly. Sure nice to be able to do a full pkg plus of bacon at one time. With the thick seasoning, fried eggs, pancakes, searing tenderloins worked wonderfully. I also got a trivit for indirect cooking and was very pleased with the results. Nice to have a rig that can be so versatile.

Back