Dry Rubs

Danny Mo.

Anyone have any good dry rubs to recommend? Something you can buy online or is it better to make your own. I know, I know...no right answer.

Hey Danny,

Here are my current go-to rubs:

Pork butt -- loving the Championship Rub by Chris Lilly found right here on this site. Just put some plus the injection on some butts I have on my 22 WSM right now!

Ribs -- HUGE fan of the Zero to Hero rub by Rod Gray found here

Brisket -- i try to keep it simple, 1 part kosher salt, 1 part coarse ground black pepper with a little bit of garlic powder thrown in

All purpose -- The Slap Yo Daddy by Harry Soo is nice for chicken, pork chops, etc.

Good luck!

After buying a few not so good rubs, I decided to start making my own. If I have to tweak the rubs I buy to my liking might as well make my own. Plus if I run short, I just make more. I can give you my recipe if you would like.

I'll take it Chuck. Never hurts to have more info. I usually slather on some mustard, then brown sugar, garlic, chili powder, thyme, salt, pepper, cumin...and whatever's left!! Thanks guys.

Kevin Kruger's BUTT RUB FOR JANE has gotten a lot of attention over the years. I love it.

Kevin makes all of his rubs salt-free so you can use as little or as much as you like without under- or over-salting the meat. Salt the meat first and let it stand for a few minutes until it begins to moisten, then sprinkle on the rub.

Rita

Last edited:
4 TBS brown sugar, 6 TBS white sugar, 3 TBS paprika, 1 TBS chili powder, 2 TBS kosher salt, 1 TBS black pepper, 1 TBS granulated garlic, 1 TBS onion powder, and 1 TBS oregano.

I'm a fan of the Henley rub found in this site. I add more pepper (cayenne, chipotle) and less season-all. I use it on everything and have a shaker of it for daily cooking.

Make your own. Duplicate one if you have to but I found that we like a specific mix for which I could not find a commercial one. Plus lots of them add chemicals etc.

I usually mix up my own. Most commercial rubs have lots of salt and I need to watch my sodium intake. Ive been loving Meathead's Memphis Dust since discovering it last Summer. I tweak it a bit based on where I'm using it, but found it to be great on chicken, ribs and pork chops. For butt, I use Chris Lilley's injection/rub recipe, but cut the salt in half. I don't do brisket enough too have a regular, but I bought a big jar of meadow Creek brisket rub last Summer that's pretty good, but still salty for my taste. I just go really light with it or dilute with some other ingredients, like more paprika and garlic powder.

Back