Dove Breasts

I would wrap them in bacon and grill them. Or sear them then move to indirect heat. They are really good enjoy!

Perhaps a bit late...

I grill them over high heat--4-5 minutes total, tops. They overcook in a heartbeat. Usually I make a simple vinaigrette using lemon and white wine vin for the acids, good evoo, a little Dijon, salt and white pepper. I marinate 30 min on the counter then remove the breasts to a plate, draining well but reserving the marinade. During the last 10 minutes of marinating I sweat 2-3 cloves of peeled crushed garlic in unsalted butter. The marinade reserved after draining the breasts gets added to the garlic butter, the heat increased so the mix will simmer a minute, then this gets dumped into a bowl to use as a baste.

I grill hot, as noted, using the lid to minimize flare-ups, and basting at least twice.

With the excerption of ABTs I don't care for anything wrapped in bacon--and I love bacon. Either the bacon stays rubbery because it doesn't cook long enough or, if it's cooked to the crisp point, whatever it's wrapping is overcooked (I think of all the horrid bacon-wrapped scallops or beef tenderloin I've seen!). Or, it's simply overpowering.

If desired (and I would), consider cooking some bacon till just shy of crisp while the breasts marinate. Pull, drain then blot well with paper towel, allow to cool completely (whereby it will become just crisp). Chop the bacon finely and sprinkle on the breasts just before serving.

Just a thought.

I like to cut a little slit and put either garlic or japaleno in them.

I also put them on a broiler pan and cook them in the oven then I take the drippings and make some gravy place the dove on a bed of rice then pour the gravy on top.

Too late but here it goes. Wrap in peppered bacon, pour Moores, or Dales marinade all over, let sit in fridge for as long as you can stand, grill until bacon is done. Sorry Kevin, that is good and easy eats. Tried and tested for decades. Best served at the dove campsite with friends.

Back