Does the new lid with bolted handle leak from mounting holes ?

Hector

TVWBB Member
Hello Everyone,

Has anybody had problems with the new lid leaking through the handle mounting holes ?

I don't own a kettle with bolted handle; i am just curious. But if i want new kettle it's going to come with bolted handle.

Thanks,

I have the earlier welded style, but I cannot imagine, even in my wildest dreams that leakage from the handle bolts would be a problem.
Only problem is I hate the new "Taco Handle" !

Don't worry about losing any leakage from the handle mounting holes. That vent on top is designed to take care of any leakage you require! ;)

I'm with Joe F on the taco handle. Looks awful!
Tip: Beware, if you decide not to use the taco heat shield, don't overtighten or you will crack the porcelain. Painful lesson.
What I did with a 22 was put a heat resistant fibre washer between the handle/taco shell and the lid, & the securing nut underneath. You can then give it a good snug up without damaging the porcelain.

Thanks for the replies guys! I would assume Weber tested this before production so I don't think it leaks; but i wanted to get your thoughts on this concern of mine. At this moment i prefer the welded handle.

Good idea Tony :thumbup: Weber should include this item as part of the assembly.

I have a 26er with the bolt on handle and there are no leaks at all. It comes with a plastic wrench to tighten the bolts down and will NOT allow you to over tighten. Kinda like a torque wrench. If someone were to ignore the tool it came with, then maybe it would have issues. That would be their own fault.

I want to add while the taco handle doesn't have the classic look we all love. It does help the handle not get as hot. I never need a glove to open the lid anymore.

Last edited:
I want to add while the taco handle doesn't have the classic look we all love. It does help the handle not get as hot. I never need a glove to open the lid anymore.

I totally agree with what Tyson said. I found out how hot the handle can get when I did my first cook on my SJS that does not have the heat shield. I won't do that again without a glove.

I have a 26er with the bolt on hand and there are no leaks at all. It comes with a plastic wrench to tighten the bolts down and will NOT allow you to over tighten. Kinda like a torque wrench. If someone were to ignore the tool it came with, then maybe it would have issues. That would be their own fault.

Perfect. Great info Tyson! A 26"er is what I want.

You mean how weber tested the wsm so it doesn't "leak" ? I was looking for some good fiber washers. Found good thick ones at my local orchard supply of all places.

Back