different finishing sauce for pulled pork?

Chad Harwick

TVWBB Member
Hello,
I have been smoking my own pulled pork for about a year now on the WSM. I have found many many finishing sauces, but most if not all are more of a vinegar Carolina based type. I like a more sweet and spicy tomatoey type sauce but not real thick like molasses based. Does anyone have any suggestions to any other types of finishing sauces that I could try with my PP? I just want something to round out the pork a little differently this time. thanks!!

chad

You're looking for a sauce to toss wit the pork as you pull it, right? Not a serving sauce, right?

yeah Kevin, but I just found something you made at one time. Seems more geared toward what I want to try even though it's still vinegar based, it has some sweet to it too. I tend to not like to put any sauce on after it's pulled.

This sauce is kind of a combination of low-country Carolina and mid-state styles of sauce with a few other adjustments.

My friends and I are not fans of sweet thick sauces and I only sometimes use glazes on spares. I use the Rib Rub I posted under this heading (here), smoke low and slow, rest them, and serve this on the side for dipping. The oil in it smoothes the flavors. The smokiness of the ribs and the spices shine right through; it adds a little kick of heat, a nice note of fruity acidity, and a touch of sweetness.

[When I cook butt I use this sauce as a finishing sauce adding 1-2 T per cup of pulled pork. I add it as I pull it--no need to measure-just sprinkle what looks to be 1-2 T on what looks to be about a cup of pulled pork. Mix it in periodically during the pulling. The sauce balances the meat-bark-smoke well and if a sweet sauce will be served on the side really helps make it work better with the meat, imo.]

3/4 c apple cider vinegar, preferably unfiltered but the regular is fine
1/4 c plain (not seasoned) rice vinegar
6 Tbl Dijon mustard
4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp pepper sauce like Cholula--my preference--or Tabasco
1/2 c vegetable oil
S&P to taste

Mix well, heat briefly, then add:

1-3 Tbl honey and
1 Tbl sugar

water

The honey and sugar are really "to taste" additions. I put a bit less in first and then taste and tweak accordingly. It depends somewhat on the fruitiness and acidity of the vinegars. Look to balance the acidity a bit and then add water, about 1/4 c at a time, till the acidity is softened. Adjust salt. I'm looking for just enough of sweetness to round out the sauce, not something cloying.

That's my go-to for PP. You could switch most of the vin for fruit juice(s) or jelly and/or tomato--sauce, ketchup, or diced--that you'll then purée. Perhaps:

2 Tbl c cider vin; 3/4 c apple jelly; 2 Tbl pineapple or apple juice

or

2 Tbl cider vin; 3/4 c ketchup or tomato sauce; 2 Tbl pineapple juice

--those sorts of combos.

In all cases, cut the oil to 2 Tbl and start the Dijon addition out at 2 Tbl, whisking well to incorporate, then adding 1 T at a time till it's right for you. Then add the sweeteners (go with white sugar or a white-brown combo, plus some honey if you'd like*). Add 1-2 Tbls ata time, keeping track so you'll remember. If you want it thicker, simmer and reduce over med-low heat till just shy of deired thickness. Adjust salt.

* Make the honey addition last. If you know you'll want to thicken it then do so before adding the honey, remove from the heat when ready, then stir in the honey to taste. Honey's flavor dissipates when heated.

I'll vouch for this sauce.

I made some a while back, and used what I had left over for a couple of butts a week or so ago - it really complements the pork nicely!

1 part chicken stock, 1 part butter, and 1 part BBQ sauce, I use 1/4 c as the measure, 3/4 c is more than enough for one butt. So simple and really adds to the pulled pork. Remember also to add some of the same rub you used on the butt when you are pulling it, sprinkle some in as you go and toss it well along with the finishing sauce. I use the same BBQ sauce in the finishing sauce that I'm serving with the PP sammies.
icon_wink.gif

Bryan, you're finishing sauce Johnny today aren't you, LOL!! Actually Bryan's finishing sauce is very good, simple but good.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryR:
Bryan, you're finishing sauce Johnny today aren't you, LOL!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You kill me! LOL!
icon_biggrin.gif

Back