Did I totally screw up?

KenP

TVWBB Pro
My plan is to smoke some ribs this weekend, but I checked the "sell by" date on the cryovac and it was the 4th. When looking around I've learned that date doesn't mean a lot, but it was still 13 days ago.

I've kept them in my BBQ fridge that no one ever opens and is kept on the coldest setting. Ice sometimes forms.

I've looked around and it seems these are probably no good. What do you think?

I saw the posts about baking soda for the smell. It doesn't look like any air got to them.

What do you think?

And if they're bad, I picked up a couple for more racks for tomorrow.
icon_biggrin.gif

I dont claim to be a reliable source for food safty information, but I'd say as long as they dont smell funky your ok. If they look and smell fine, "I" would smoke em up.

Brandon

Originally posted by Brandon A:
I dont claim to be a reliable source for food safty information, but I'd say as long as they dont smell funky your ok. If they look and smell fine, "I" would smoke em up.

Brandon
I'm leaning in that direction, but if I get the stinky's I'm coming for you! Oh wait, that happens anyway.
icon_eek.gif

Originally posted by Tony C.:
i'm doing some spares sunday too ken, tomorrow looks like it will be a wash
icon_frown.gif
i have the WSM undercover for the most part, but I think you're right. Nothin' wrong with ribs for football and racin'!

Farm Fresh and Kroger have spares on sale this weekend.

yea, i'm not sure about the ones at kroger but the ones at FF aren't "enhanced" i got two 3.8# racks a few hours ago. i just hope the dizzy dust i ordered gets here tomorrow. if not i've been wanting to try kevin's rib rub in the recipes section, but i'll have to go to the store and get some of the stuff i'm missing. i hate going to the store because i can't get out without spending 50 bucks nowadays
icon_razz.gif

Originally posted by Tony C.:
i hate going to the store because i can't get out without spending 50 bucks nowadays
icon_razz.gif
That's called a Beer Run.
icon_wink.gif

Decision is made, I'm cooking them.
icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by KenP:
My plan is to smoke some ribs this weekend, but I checked the "sell by" date on the cryovac and it was the 4th. When looking around I've learned that date doesn't mean a lot, but it was still 13 days ago.

I've kept them in my BBQ fridge that no one ever opens and is kept on the coldest setting. Ice sometimes forms.

I've looked around and it seems these are probably no good. What do you think?

I saw the posts about baking soda for the smell. It doesn't look like any air got to them.

What do you think?

And if they're bad, I picked up a couple for more racks for tomorrow.
icon_biggrin.gif
FYI, If it was a brisket no worries as beef goes months past the sell by date if kept very cold. I've gone 3 months with a flat already. But pork does not fair as well as beef does. 2 weeks is pushing it, but you should be ok at those cold temps. You'll know as soon as you open it if they are bad, trust me. You'll prob have that funky pork cryo vac smell but it should dissapate rather quickly. Rinse well, let air out for a few, and take a whiff. Good luck, hope they are ok for you.

Ok, you guys must have been joking with me. That was the nastiest thing ever!

The first one wasn't so bad, just slimy and a bit stinky, but the second one was so foul I almost barfed!

I put all the rotting junk in a few ziplocks and took them out.

I was really ticked because I had to toss a few things in the dish washer and clean the sink and counter. I also forgot to but gloves on so my hands were... well, you know.

Thank goodness my wife was in bed while I was doing this. Me not 2 stoopid...

I guess I'm lucky because I'd bought a couple of racks two days ago so I still get ribs tomorrow.
icon_biggrin.gif

Brandon

What'd I say man!?
icon_wink.gif

Ok, you guys must have been joking with me. That was the nastiest thing ever!

The first one wasn't so bad, just slimy and a bit stinky, but the second one was so foul I almost barfed!
I had slim hope, trying positive reinforcement.
icon_rolleyes.gif
"But pork does not fair as well as beef does. 2 weeks is pushing it"

Brandon, Tom and Chad would be sick tomorrow afternoon, you turds!

My hands still stink.

I need to spray some Fabreeze around before the baby wakes the wife and they go down there. Otherwise I'm totally Es-screwed.

My hands still stink.

I need to spray some Fabreeze around before the baby wakes the wife and they go down there. Otherwise I'm totally Es-screwed.
Get the Clorox out quick Bud. It masks very well, and your hands will stink of bleach instead of rotting pork.

The real question is, how did those ribs stay in Ken's fridge so long?
icon_wink.gif
"IF they smell and look fine"
icon_razz.gif
You're right. If it smells fine and looks fine, it should be eaten.
icon_biggrin.gif

Back