Did I screw up? low and slow brisket question

I tried my 1st low and slow brisket cook yesterday. 8.5 lb brisket put on @ 5:30 am by 6:00 pm internal temp was only 164. Cooker temps were 230 - 270 throughout the cook. I've cooked 5 or 6 using the high heat mtehod and they always come out great but lacking the crust. So anyway, do you take it up to 190 - 200 internal like in the high heat cooks or is that where I screwed up? I had 2 points that I threw on too and they seemed to be still in need of rendering after being on for the whole cook. Thoughts or comments?

An 8.5 pound brisket could take up to 17 hours or so depending on the temp they are cooking at. Cook until probe tender not until a specific temperature. That being said it is generally tender in the 190-205 range.

An 8.5 pound brisket could take up to 17 hours or so depending on the temp they are cooking at. Cook until probe tender not until a specific temperature. That being said it is generally tender in the 190-205 range.

I realize you cook to tender and not a specific temp. But it was suggested to start probing for tender at 190 and of the 5 - 6 I've cooked tender was in the 190 - 205 range. But cooking high heat you foil it in a pan, i was thinking that made the temp go higher. I guess it's a dumb question I was just wondering if you target the same range low & slow. That being said, I'd be safe putting it back on? I'm thinking foiling it and finishing it in the oven. Thoughts?

temps are said to be less relevant when the meat's being braised (wrapped in foil) since that can push the temps higher, quicker. In my experience though the temps @ tender generally are about the same.

Briskets will stall the same as a butt. My last couple have actually stalled lower than butts, and stalled in the low 150's

so you've cooled it and want to put it back on? Not sure best way to finish the meat....

You need to give it more time, or you need to foil it for a while. Then take off the foil to get a good bark at the end.

Yes foiling can give you higher temps before the meat is tender. Go ahead and put it back on the smoker or in the oven. You can foil it with a bit of broth if you like.

My times have been similar to what Bob reports on low and slow (even longer when I tried very low and slow). I sometimes get a first stall in the low 150's and a second stall in the low 180's. It took me a time or two to figure out that my thermometer wasn't screwed up and that I needed to wait out the second stall. I start probing for tender around 185-190, and mine have usually been tender around the 195-200 range.

You need to give it more time, or you need to foil it for a while. Then take off the foil to get a good bark at the end.

I agree with Gil, at the time you describe I simply would have foiled it and left it on until probe tender then out of the foil for 30 minutes or so to stiffen up the bark. The foiling reduces the stall time and helps retain the moisture.

The point is another issue. There is a lot more fat in the point and they do require rendering so most seem to cut them up and put them back on for 2-4 hours sans sauce in smaller pieces. They render out but they are still quite moist.

It can be maddening. The meat will stall in the 160 range for several (sometimes many) hours. The low heat is working its magic breaking down all the connective tissue. Keep mopping and be patient, the wait will be worth it...

Regards,

John

Back