Deflate-gate thoughts?

Teddy J.

TVWBB Pro
What's your take on this? Not a big deal because it was a blowout? Not a big deal even if it was close? Patriots are repeat offenders, suspend Brady and Belichik for the Super Bowl? Replace Patriots with the Colts?

It will be interesting to see what happens either way. Based on how Goodell handled the Saints' Bounty-gate, ignorance is no excuse right? Not sure I remember a playoff in recent memory that has been a controversial as this one.

Too late to replace pats with colts I would think. and doubt NFL will find enough solid evidence to make such a call.

having said that, I think they knew all about this. At least Brady did. I am sure he told someone to alter balls. Ball boys don't take it upon themselves to just decide on their own maybe they could do Brady a solid and deflate the balls for him without telling him.

But my guess is they will never be able to ultimately find out who did what, and they will levy some overall fines 2-3 weeks after the SB

I am with Keith. No way in hell ball boys/equipment guys randomly took air out of the ball with out someone telling them to. And no way anyone says anything about the game balls except the QB. That would be like an outfielder running up to the pitchers mound and kicking around dirt to make sure the mound is how he likes it and not how the pitcher likes it.

I have given up on Roger Goodell handing out appropriate punishments. Who knows what they will do but the fact of the matter is they cheated and they have been caught cheating before. I don't think a few PSI's make a huge difference but they made adjustments to the ball after the officials checked them.

Nobody knows enough to come to any conclusions on this yet, so I'm keeping my thoughts to myself. It looks very suspicious, but unless the balls were deflated on the sidelines, I'm not sure how it could have happened. The balls are in the official's possession or locked in a room prior to game time. OK, so maybe I'm not keeping all of my thoughts to myself. :p

Could it be the refs never actual did their jobs of inspecting the footballs.. Pure negligence on their part and the PATS pretty much knew this and took advantage of it ...

Could it be the refs never actual did their jobs of inspecting the footballs..

If that's the case, what a joke the process is. Especially with that type of weather. I bet the Patriots pay their ball boy a handsome 5-year contract to keep his mouth shut about the whole thing.

I don't think it really mattered as far as the game is concerned. I'm sure the Patriots get fined or something. I doubt it goes further than that.

The only fair punishment for cheating in a playoff game to get to the superbowl should be to be banned from
the Superbowl and the following season as a team, along with a MASSIVE fine. But the NFL does not have the
balls to do something this drastic. There is a history of cheating with the Patriots. Its way past time for it to end. YMMV

This whole scenario made me think of a few things that I don't know the answers to. What were the refs doing during the whole game that they didn't notice when they handled the balls? Why don't the refs check the pressure shortly before the game begins and then again at half time? What do the refs do at half time anyway other than a potty break? Why do both teams have their own balls that are used by them but not the opposing team? Since both teams play with their own balls why is there a rule about the inflation of the balls? Why aren't they allowed to play with the balls inflated to their own preference since both teams would have the same advantage of having their balls inflated to the pressure they preferred? It seems to me that the NFL should be able to easily control the inflation pressures of the balls, or just as easily abandon pressure limits and allow teams to inflate to their own preference.

Tom Brady is getting too old and his arthritic hands can't grip the ball anymore fully inflated!!!(he's younger than me, lol)

Football:
3 hours to play
60 minutes on the clock
ball is in use about 13 minutes
the rest of the time is spent talking about what they're going to do

Last edited:
It's another black eye for the NFL and not the type of PR you'd want leading to the Big Game. The TV cameras are going to show the Patriots ball boy so many times that Vegas will prolly have a line on the over/under.

Tim

not sure how to link it, but for those that have not seen the Sat Night Live skit on this, it was predictable but still kind of funny. especially the ending. Normally I am not a huge SNL fan anymore, but again this one was pretty good.

Back