Deer hind quater

dsitterson

TVWBB Super Fan
Got a deer hind quarter that I going to bbq this weekend.

I am going to marinate overnight.

I am going to cook to about 165.

Low temp about 225.

I am thing about foiling for most of the cook or at least in a pan with liquid.

I went to a bbq comp and they had some deer leg that was falling off the bone tender and I noticed the had liquid in a pan with foil ...any other advice.

Yes, they do best braised so not surprising that you saw liquid. Go with your plan but don't cook to a specific temp. Cook till tender.

Equal parts of red wine and beef broth, a touch of garlic black pepper. This combo has always been tasty in other venison dishes.

I use red wine and chicken stock (I find beef too much for venison), a splash of cherry, cranberry or blueberry juice, a coouple bay leaves and a thyme sprig, a few cloves of crushed garlic, and a t or two of black peppercorns. Strained and reduced after cooking, it becomes a simple sauce with Dijon whisked in then mounted with butter.

Let me know how it turns out. I am an avid hunter and am looking forward to smoking some roasts!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dsitterson:
Got a deer hind quarter. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Mmmm dried beef, or dried venison in this case. I used to get at least one hind quarter made from my deer into dried beef/venison. Great stuff. But hey, little late for that now. Good luck with your cook and take some pics.
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dsitterson:
Got a deer hind quarter. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Mmmm dried beef, or dried venison in this case. I used to get at least one hind quarter made from my deer into dried beef/venison. Great stuff. But hey, little late for that now. Good luck with your cook and take some pics.
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bryan,
I used to do the same thing! IMO it's so much better than dried beef. Me and my hunting buddy used to take up a load of meat once a season to a butcher (I think it was called Starlipers) up in PA and they would make anything you wanted with your venison, from dried beef, half smokes, to the best summer sausage in the world. It was a bit pricey as they would add fat to the meat, prepare, smoke and vacuum seal everything, but it was well well worth the money.

As for the hindquarter in question for this post. I like to stud the hind quarter with slices of garlic and rosemary and then liberally coat with EVOO and Kosher salt and black pepper and grill indirect until desired doness and then slice thinly.

From your post you already know that keeping it moist will be your biggest problem. In the past I have used a larding needle on venison roast with good results. If you have never used a larding needle, basically it lets you put veins of fat throughout the roast that will slowly melt while you cook lean pieces of meat. http://www.recipetips.com/glos...t--33375/larding.asp

Thanks for the advice ....
Fired up the Weber kettle and seared each side about 15 minute each. Then in to a stainless dutch oven with red wine, chicken stock, celery, garlic, thyme, onion, carrots, salt and pepper. Took about 12 hours to get like pot roast tender and it was good. We ate it for 4 days straight feeding 3 people each time and making new friends.
Made sandwiches one day and dipped the whole sandwich in the juice man that was good. took it to work and everyone loved it.
Thanks again for the help

Back