Dave Moser Grill Restoration Rookie

Dave Moser

My name is Dave and I am an Army Officer living at Fort Belvoir, Virginia. I got into Weber restoration about 6 months ago and have really enjoyed it. My two teenage boys help me and we’ve so far restored and sold 10 gas grills. My favorites are the older model E or S 300 series but we’ve also restored some Silver B and spirit models. Really enjoy the hobby and it’s great to have a forum to learn best practices.

Welcome Dave and thanks for your service.

The Weber grills are good candidates for rebuilding and restoration. Parts are available and interchangeable between models in most cases.

This site has lots of information and help. Weber has great customer service.

This is the 10th restoration. I don’t clean the cook box nearly as well as some I’ve seen on the forum. I just picked up my first weber 1000 red head that I’m thinking I want to go that extra mile on. I was reading some old threads from Bruce, and it sounds like that’s either a wire wheel effort or sand blasting. I don’t know much about sand blasting, so will probably give the wire wheel a try. If I do that, is it beat to use brass or is it ok to use the steel braid?

Attachments

• IMG_0264.jpeg
    IMG_0264.jpeg
    180.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0267.jpeg
    IMG_0267.jpeg
    164.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0265.jpeg
    IMG_0265.jpeg
    183 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0273.jpeg
    IMG_0273.jpeg
    245.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0263.jpeg
    IMG_0263.jpeg
    137.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0256.jpeg
    IMG_0256.jpeg
    219.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0251.jpeg
    IMG_0251.jpeg
    129.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0271.jpeg
    IMG_0271.jpeg
    240.1 KB · Views: 16
Dave, I wouldn't use the braided wire wheels or cups on anything. They are too aggressive. I have some steel wire cups that go on my angle grinder that work pretty well on the cookbox inside and out.

The san blasted boxes certainly look nice.

There are 2 ends of the firebox spectrum - dry or greasy.

If the box is on the dry side and the box is not corroded by oxidation, sand blasting would be a good way to clean it up.

If you are on the greasy side scraping and a degreaser or scraping and a good burn off will clean them.

Wire wheels are pretty nasty. The dust and debris can cause serious damage to your health and require PPE.

There should be sand blasting services in your area. I don’t know if you can get enough markup on a sale to make it worth while.

The san blasted boxes certainly look nice.

There are 2 ends of the firebox spectrum - dry or greasy.

If the box is on the dry side and the box is not corroded by oxidation, sand blasting would be a good way to clean it up.

If you are on the greasy side scraping and a degreaser or scraping and a good burn off will clean them.

Wire wheels are pretty nasty. The dust and debris can cause serious damage to your health and require PPE.

There should be sand blasting services in your area. I don’t know if you can get enough markup on a sale to make it worth while.
Very good points! Aluminum dust - and who knows what else - and flying broken wire projectiles are nothing to trifle with. At a minimum you need eye, nose, mouth and ear protection along with heavy gloves and clothing you don’t plan to do anything else with. For all the mess - and risks - more and more I and some others here are using a sand blaster more and more.

If you want to have a good relationship with a sand blaster, clean off the sticky grease before dropping off your parts and be patient.

Hey guys I just saw this post and just wanted to say that Dave is a great man. He is in my area and has come over to my shop to chat and buy parts. I love that he is doing this hobby with his two sons. I am afraid to tell ya but he caught on real fast.....and unfortunately has caught a bad case of Weberitis.......and I mean he has it bad! Dave and I are kind of working as a " friendly competition " team helping each other out and chasing grills all over town. He is sharp as a whip and absorbs the tips and tricks of the hobby like a sponge. I have said this before and I will say it again.....This forum has the best group of people that I have ever come across in the forum world.......Dave will be a great asset to our crew here! Dave is on travel right now so I have to hurry up and scoop up all of the Christmas grill discards before he gets back! :)

Back