Costco - Japanese BBQ Sauce

It’s almost more of a teriyaki sauce than a traditional barbecue sauce.

My family enjoys using it on chicken. I’ve also basted with game hen this towards the end of the smoking process.

It worked well enough, though I’m not sure I’d choose it over a more traditional barbecue sauce. We’ve used it in lieu of teriyaki or soy sauce cooking on the wok too.

I think it's teriyaki sauce with some ketchup in it. I have used it and it is okay. Yoshida sauce is more traditional teriyaki sauce.

We like it enough to keep some on-hand. I'm not sure that I agree with the "teriyaki with ketchup" assessment, because it doesn't taste like that to me, but taste is subjective;) I prefer Yoshida, but Yoshida is sweeter and a lot harder to find anymore, except in those industrial size containers.

They have a Yuzu style too, that's not as sweet. We overpay a bit, because we buy the smaller, (17oz), containers. Those big containers at Costco take up too much real-estate in the fridge.

I mainly use it with pork dishes, or a small splash when finishing a spicy beef stir-fry, or dishes where you want that umame flavor.

I'll brush it on pork belly, right before I take it off the grill. I'm going to try to use it as a base for a spicy Thai peanut sauce the next time I make chicken Satay.

Richard just used that sauce in this cook. Looks great

I'll go against the grain... I wasn't really impressed.
I picked some up at Ace last summer and tried it on chicken. Too "teriyaki-ey" for me. LOL

I meant to try it later on fried rice and vegetables or something along those lines, but never got back to it.

For grilled chicken etc, I would rather have a more traditional bbq flavor - IF using any sauce at all.
The rub and/or seasoning are usually sufficient for my tastes.

The Original ingredients:

1692900116776.png

classic Teriyaki sauce:

INGREDIENTS​

• ▢½ cup sake
  • ▢½ cup mirin
  • ▢½ cup soy sauce (use GF soy sauce for gluten free)
  • ▢¼ cup sugar

For those interested, a teriyaki is more a glaze with very simple ingredients.

The Bachans is more a Japanese style bbq sauce, similar to what Hoisin sauce is in Chinese cooking (Chinese bbq sauce).

The Bachans is very different than a classic teriyaki sauce. And I'd say closer to a Chinese type sauce with all its ingredients, sans the tomato paste.

All three sauces, do well when hit with direct heat as the sauces will caramelize and enhance the flavor of whatever you're cooking, with teriyaki being the most simple flavor profiles of all three of these sauces (teriyaki, Bachans and hoisin).

Back