Cooking Temp for butt?

Chad Harwick

TVWBB Member
So I've been reading alot about butts. My main question I have now is, when I read about butts being cooked in 225-240 degrees is that grate temp or lid temp? thanks!

Most will tell you that there is about a 10-15 degree difference in temp at the top grate vs the lid. I have a Tel-Tru installed in the lid and use the Maverick ET-73 to measure the grate and I've found that they are only 1-3 degrees off.

I like to smoke butts around 225, not matter if its grate or lid.

sounds good, i'll try to keep it around there then. I'll have a polder to monitor both locations, i was just curious if it was grate temp the recipes are talking about. Which, now makes sense after I think about it. People use different smokers and wouldn't nessasarily have a lid temp.
icon_smile.gif

I'll second the 220º grate temp. They take longer, 18 - 21 hours or so, but I really like the finished product when cooked at that temp.

Good luck with your cook.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Bill

I'm in the same camp as the others above. Mostly 225 but when I do them for work to take in the next morning I do them at 235. I have to rush home from work and get them on by 4:00PM to be ready by 6:30 AM so I up the temp 10 degrees for the entire cook and they always get done. I have a Guru so it makes it easy to keep the temp steady all night long, while I'm sleeping.
icon_biggrin.gif

Oooo...so if i get it on at 6am for a 6pm dinner that probably would be cutting it close for a 7-8 pound butt? That's 11 hours for cooking and 1 for resting. Whew, I need to get up earlier! I don't really want to do an overnight either for my first run. I guess if the meat is possessed I'll have to push dinner out!
icon_smile.gif
I'm sure the fam won't mind.

Yes
I would say that is not enough time.
For instance I just did two 7-8 pounders and they took 18 hours .That was temp range 225 to 240.

At that temp 11 hours there would be much fat and connective tissue left to be broken down.

On the other hand I’m sure there are ways to get them done in that time frame

I like 265-275. I have done them at 225-235, and everywhere in between. The only difference is they take longer at the lower end. Why not cut off several hours if you can? I cook them on the kettle at 315 or so and always come out great. Butt is a very forgiving, piece of meat. It can handle the upper end of the temp range no problem.

I might try an overnight now. It can rest in the cooler for quite some time I guess. That way it can be flexible for lunch or dinner. I just wanted to be able to spritz it with apple and rum. I just hope it doesn't hit 165 while I'm sleeping. I'll have to check it a couple times through the night.

Chad, a couple of words of advice. Let the unit stabilize before going to bed. Sometime it takes an hour or more for me. Lastly, drink the apple and rum before bed or when you wake up in the morning.Your butt will be great without it.
icon_biggrin.gif

No need to check for 165. If doing an overnighter there is no need to foil. And it doesn't really matter when it hits 165. When it does, it will likely linger in the 160s for several hours.

Spritzing, imo, won't do much for the finished product--and actually prolongs the cook. You can certainly spritz if you wish. Alternatively, if you want those flavors in the finished product, flavor-brine before cooking or glaze at the finish. Or simply make a light finishing sauce that includes your desired flavors and add a splash here and there while you pull the pork, toss well, serve.

(Like Gary, I cook at 265-275 as well.)

thanks for all the help guys! I'll take it into consideration. I plan on being up to stabilize the temps before going off to bed. I was thinking getting it on around midnight and watch it for a hour or so, then get up at 4-5 to check it again. I'll probably do around 250 to 265 for lid temp.

If your doing an all nighter...then yeah, really doesnt matter on the 165 wrapping or not. Friends of mine wrap at 180. If time is not an issue...dont wrap and have some killer bark. I agree...misting wont do anything. May add a little flavor to the bark, but..if you hold in cooler wrapped..the bark turns softer anyway. Just experiment and find your own liking...there is no right or wrong...just technique. Like butts....no two are the same...no punn.
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chad Harwick:
thanks for all the help guys! I'll take it into consideration. I plan on being up to stabilize the temps before going off to bed. I was thinking getting it on around midnight and watch it for a hour or so, then get up at 4-5 to check it again. I'll probably do around 250 to 265 for lid temp. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I got my WSM late in June. I've had seven or eight cooks with it. All but(t) one were overnite cooks. As others have told you - be sure to get the heat stabilized - then you're safe to go to bed. I usually go to bed around 12 and get up around 8. My wife is an early riser so she checks the temp for me - Hasn't had to wake me yet.

BTW - my fifth cook was the day cook (spare ribs) and least satisfying.

Also - consider only using cherry smoke wood. I've used combinations until I smoked four butts for Christmas parties. These were smoked using only cherry. Participants agreed - absolutely great. Friends who had shared in my previous cooks said the cherry was the best yet.

Don't be afraid of the night!!
icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chad Harwick:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ron Hunter:
thanks for all the help guys! I'll take it into consideration. I plan on being up to stabilize the temps before going off to bed. I was thinking getting it on around midnight and watch it for a hour or so, then get up at 4-5 to check it again. I'll probably do around 250 to 265 for lid temp. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I got my WSM late in June. I've had seven cooks with it. All but(t) one were overnite cooks. As others have told you - be sure to get the heat stabilized - then you're safe to go to bed.

BTW - my fifth cook was the day cook (spare ribs) and least satisfying.

Also - consider only using cherry smoke wood. I've used combinations until I smoked four butts for Christmas parties. These were smoked using only cherry. Participants agreed - absolutely great. Friends who had shared in my previous cooks said the cherry was the best yet.

Don't be afraid of the night!!
icon_cool.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I will actually be getting some cherry on Friday for this smoke. I may throw a chunk or two of hickory in too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dale Perry:
If you really like to taste the smoke, I would add the hickory. Cherry is a mild smoke, at least it is for my taste. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dale, I agree - it is a mild smoke. Because of that I can go heavier on the smoke than I ever could before. I'm certainly not giving up on hickory. It's still one of my favorites. Bottom line - its all good!!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Back